Cutting and dicing an onion into equal-sized pieces can be tricky, but it’s easier than you think with a few quick tips! Here is the easiest and safest way to properly cut and dice an onion for cooking, sautéing, and more.
Welcome back to another AK tutorial! I know that you all come from different levels of cooking experience, which I love. Some cooking techniques that are second nature to some of you might be brand new to others. That’s why I decided to create simple how-to videos — so that wherever you are in your food & cooking journey you always have useful tips and tricks for gaining confidence in the kitchen.
In this tutorial I’m showing you step-by-step instructions of how to cut an onion. It may sound simple, but I’ve even seen Abra (my resident veggie chopper) almost slice her fingers off when dicing onions for our recipes. I learned this trick from my mom and it’s truly life-changing, just ask Abra. Let’s get to it!
How to cut an onion properly:
1. Use a sharp knife to chop off the end of your onion that does not have the root on it. It will typically be the “pointier” side of the onion.
2. Flip your onion over onto the freshly chopped side so that it’s flat and doesn’t roll around.
3. Cut your onion straight down the middle, through the root.
4. Peel off the outside skin layer.
5. Lie your onion flat, and make small cuts with your knife towards the root side about 3/4 of the way to the root. Make these marks about 1/4 inch apart. *Note: you can make these cuts smaller and closer together if you want a fine dice, or larger if you want larger chunks.
6. Flip your knife so that it’s parallel to the cutting board, hold onto the top of your onion with your other hand, and carefully slice your onion through the middle of the onion by gently gliding it. Slice it about halfway through towards the root.
7. Finally, dice your onion by slicing it from top to bottom. You can dice it finely or into larger chunks depending on how close together you slice.
8. With the last 1/4 of your onion feel free to just chop it regularly – discarding the root.
9. Repeat with your second half!
WATCH THE TUTORIAL VIDEO ON HOW TO CUT AN ONION:
I hope you guys loved this easy tutorial on how to cut an onion! If you try out this method be sure to leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it. Remember, practice makes perfect!