It’s been a while since I’ve given you an easy weeknight dinner recipe. Rest assured your girl is back and ready to get you cooking in the kitchen and dancing while you do it.
What could be better than this easy goat cheese and spinach stuffed chicken recipe that’s made in one pan, takes only 30 minutes and is healthy & delicious?!
How to make stuffed chicken breast
This spinach stuffed chicken recipe is easier to make than most stuffed chicken breast recipes because instead of having to butterfly and pound a chicken breast down, you simply cut the chicken ‘hasselback style’ on top, stuff it with cooked spinach and goat cheese (or cheese of choice), then bake it in the oven and you’re done. Here’s how to make stuffed chicken breast:
- Step 1: Use a sharp knife to hasselback each chicken breast, and cut 6 slits into the top of each breast, making sure you don’t cut all the way through to the bottom of the chicken breast. Drizzle each chicken breast with a little olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Step 2: Cook the spinach filling and then add to a bowl with goat cheese to combine the mixture.
- Step 3: Add cheese and spinach filling the slits in the chicken breast.
- Step 4. Bake until chicken is completely cooked and meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
How long to cooked stuffed chicken
Since chicken breasts tend to vary in sizes, I recommend using a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken breast is fully cooked; the temperature should read 165 degrees F. Typically, I cook my chicken breasts at 375 degrees F anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on their size.
What you need to make stuffed chicken
Ingredients: chicken breast, olive oil, spinach, garlic powder and cheese of choice — I prefer to use goat cheese but cream cheese or mozzarella would also be excellent options. I also give the option of adding caramelized mushrooms and onions with thyme, which creates an amazing slightly sweet sauce for the chicken to cook in.
What to serve stuffed chicken breast with:
See how to make the spinach stuffed chicken breast:
Goat Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast with Caramelized Onions + Mushrooms
- 4 chicken breasts (about 4-6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups organic spinach
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Optional: 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use a sharp knife to hasselback each chicken breast, and cut 6 slits into the top of each breast, making sure you don’t cut all the way through to the bottom of the chicken breast. Drizzle each chicken breast with a little olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat and add in ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Add in spinach and season with garlic powder. Cook, stirring occasionally until spinach is fully wilted.
- Transfer cooked spinach to a medium bowl and add in goat cheese. Stir until well combined. Stuff each slit with the spinach/goat cheese mixture.
- Next add a 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet. Add in sliced onions, mushrooms, fresh thyme, optional balsamic vinegar and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions begin to caramelize and mushrooms turn golden brown. Make room for the chicken by moving the mushrooms and onions to the sides of the skillet.
- Add chicken to the skillet, making sure there is a little bit of room between each chicken breast; you may need to rearrange the mushrooms and onions. Transfer to oven and bake for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Serves 4.
Feel free to use cream cheese instead of goat cheese. If you use cream cheese you might want to add in 1/4 cup mozzarella mixed in there.