Are you ready for a deliciously chocolatey dessert that’s going to blow your mind? Good. Our resident Reels & TikTok expert, Rebecca, made this silky, rich chocolate hummus recipe a few months ago and it was TOO GOOD not to share on the blog.
This easy chocolate hummus recipe is so easy to make and so fun to dip with your fav snacks. It’s vegan, dairy free and gluten free, too, so it’s truly the perfect dessert for anyone! We loved dreaming up all of the things you could dip in it: pretzels, berries, bananas, graham crackers — the options are endless.
Maybe a dollop on a fluffy stack of pancakes? YES PLEASE.
We have plenty of tips & tricks for making this chocolate hummus perfect every time, so be sure to read the full post and check out the video here! Get ready to wow friends and family at your next get-together, and good luck taking home any leftovers.
We post tons of fun recipe tutorials like this one over on the AK Instagram page, so remember to follow us here!
Ingredients you’ll need to make chocolate hummus
You’re going to LOVE the simple ingredients in this easy chocolate hummus recipe. It’s naturally vegan, gluten free and dairy free and the perfect dessert for sharing! Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Chickpeas: the base of this hummus (and all hummus recipes) is protein-packed chickpeas!
- Tahini: we’re using a natural, drippy tahini in this recipe. This is my favorite brand, and you can use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ for 10% off your order.
- Cocoa powder: feel free to use your fav unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Maple syrup: we’re naturally sweetening this chocolate hummus with some pure maple syrup.
- Milk: I like to keep the chocolate hummus dairy free by using unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Chocolate chips: add a little extra chocolate with some mini chocolate chips mixed right in! Feel free to use these dairy free chocolate chips.
- Extra flavor: be sure to add some vanilla extract and salt to bring all of the flavors together.
What does chocolate hummus taste like?
If you’ve only had savory hummus flavors before, you’re in for a real treat (no pun intended). This chocolate hummus seriously tastes like rich, delicious brownie batter but is naturally sweetened and made with good-for-you ingredients!
Easy ways to customize
If you’re out of any of the ingredients or are looking to customize this healthy chocolate hummus a bit, here’s what I can recommend:
- Use nut butter. If you don’t have any tahini, feel free to use 1/2 cup of natural, drippy peanut butter or your favorite nut butter.
- Make it extra rich. For an even richer flavor try using cacao powder.
- Sweeten it up. If you like sweeter dessert hummus, use 1/2 cup of maple syrup instead of 1/3.
Healthy chocolate hummus in 2 simple steps
That’s right, this chocolate hummus recipe comes together in just 5 minutes and 2 easy steps!
- Blend it up. Add all of the hummus ingredients besides the chocolate chips to a food processor or high powered blender and process until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to thin it out to the consistency of frosting.
- Top it & serve. Stir in the mini chocolate chips, sprinkle more on top, and then serve!
What to serve with chocolate hummus
The options are truly endless for serving up this delicious chocolate hummus. Here are our favorite ways to enjoy:
- Dip berries, apples, crackers, pita chips or pretzels
- Top it on toast with bananas or berries
- Fold it into a sweet quesadilla or wrap with fruit
- Add a dollop onto a stack of fluffy pancakes or waffles
Want to make it extra creamy?
The best way to make this chocolate hummus super creamy is to remove the skins from the chickpeas. Note that it’s still delicious if you skip this step!
How to store chocolate hummus
Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More vegan treats you’ll love
- Peanut Butter Cup Freezer Fudge
- Healthy 4 Ingredient Reese’s Eggs
- Blow Ya Mind Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free, too!)
- Ooey-Gooey Dark Chocolate Espresso Date Oat Bars
- Healthy Peanut Butter Twix Bars (vegan & gluten free)
Get all of our vegan dessert recipes here!
I hope you love this chocolate hummus recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
The best chocolate hummus recipe made with simple ingredients for the perfect, easy dessert! This vegan chocolate hummus recipe comes together in just 5 minutes and is delicious with berries, crackers, pretzels and more.
- For the hummus:
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (skins removed if you want extra creamy hummus!)
- 1/3 cup drippy tahini (or 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (use ½ cup if you like a sweeter hummus!)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I use vanilla almondmilk) plus more if necessary to thin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips (dairy free if desired)
- For serving:
- Berries, crackers, pita chips or pretzels
Add all the hummus ingredients besides the chocolate chips to a food processor or blender and process until smooth, adding more milk if necessary to thin to make it into a nice dip that’s the consistency of frosting. Stir in mini chocolate chips and sprinkle more on top once finished.
Serve in a bowl on a platter with strawberries, raspberries, crackers, pita chips, pretzels/pretzel thins, graham crackers or anything you like! Hummus will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats