Blow Ya Mind Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free, too!)
The best vegan chocolate chip cookies made in one bowl with a mix of almond flour and oat flour to keep them gluten free! These easy vegan chocolate chip cookies are deliciously chewy with crispy edges and tender middles. You truly won’t need another vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe after this one!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Please read my policy page.
I don’t claim that many things on this site will “blow ya mind” (except, hello, this Blow Ya Mind Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Pot Pie) but trust me when I saw these cookies will do just that.
If you’ve made any of my cookie recipes you know that I take them very seriously. My famous brown butter chocolate chip cookies are still one of the most popular recipes on AK, so last year I set out to make the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe that just so happens to be gluten free, too!
These babies are perfectly sweet with golden exteriors and those chewy middles you crave. Bake a batch, share them with vegan & non-vegan friends and get ready to blow their minds, too.
Looking for more tips & tricks for making the best cookies ever? Download our FREE printable Ultimate Guide to Cookie Baking and use it time and time again whenever the cookie cravings hit!
Everything you’ll need to make the best vegan chocolate chip cookies
This healthy vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe doesn’t use strange ingredients or add-ins — just a handful of pantry staples you likely have in your cupboards! Here’s what you need to make them:
- Brown sugar: I like to sweeten these cookies with brown sugar for that delicious, rich molasses flavor. You can actually make your own using this tutorial!
- Coconut oil: you’ll need some coconut oil to give the cookies the perfect amount of moisture.
- Flaxseed meal: we’re replacing the egg in this vegan cookie recipe by using flaxseed meal and a little bit of dairy free milk!
- Flours: we’re using a mix of almond flour and oat flour to keep these cookies gluten-free with the best texture.
- Baking staples: you’ll also need vanilla extract (learn how to make your own here!) baking soda & salt.
- Chocolate chips: puddles of melted chocolate in every bite? Yes, please. Use vegan chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (we love the brand, Enjoy Life) to keep these cookies vegan.
What keeps these cookies vegan?
These chocolate chip cookies are made vegan thanks to flaxseed meal! In the wet ingredients, you’ll add flaxseed meal and a little almond milk to essentially create a vegan flax egg right in the batter. Learn more about how to make a flax egg here.
Reminder: be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips as well to keep the cookies fully vegan.
Questions on substitutions
As always, I recommend following this gluten free and vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe exactly to ensure that you get the perfect taste and texture every time. If you’re out of a few ingredients, here’s what I do and do not recommend:
- Can I use a different flour? Unfortunately, no, I cannot recommend a sub for the almond flour and oat flour in this recipe. Check out my vegan and gluten free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for a gluten free, nut free alternative.
- Can I replace the coconut oil? Yes! Feel free to use melted vegan butter in place of the coconut oil.
- What about a natural sweetener? You can also use coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar to naturally sweeten these cookies.
Make your own oat flour right at home
Did you know you can make your own oat flour to use in this recipe? Yes! You’ll just need one ingredient and a couple of minutes. Check out my full tutorial on how to make your own oat flour and get baking.
Magical vegan chocolate chip cookies (in one bowl!)
That’s right, this one bowl vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe couldn’t be easier to make and takes just under 30 minutes:
- Prep your pan. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper so that the cookies don’t stick.
- Mix the wet. Whisk together the brown sugar, vanilla, flaxseed meal and almond milk until smooth. Then whisk in the melted and cooled coconut oil.
- Add the dry. Stir in the almond & oat flour, baking soda and salt until well combined. Then fold in your chocolate chips.
- Scoop & bake. Use a medium cookie scoop or your hands to form cookies with about 2 tablespoons of dough. Place them on your baking tray and bake!
- Cool & enjoy. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes so that they don’t break apart. I like to sprinkle on a little flaky sea salt and then devour!
Can you eat the dough?
Because this vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe doesn’t have any raw eggs or raw, all purpose flour, you can actually eat the dough! Almond flour, oat flour and flaxseed meal are all safe to eat raw, unlike regular, all purpose flour (which can have bacteria).
Want even thicker cookies?
If you love thick cookies, simply refrigerate the cookie dough for about 10 minutes before baking them.
How to freeze vegan chocolate chip cookies
You can freeze both the cookie dough and the cookies themselves for months! It’s the perfect way to double batches and save some for later. Get my full tutorial on how to freeze cookies two different ways here.
Our fav cookie tools
Check out all of our fav kitchen essentials here.
More vegan desserts you’ll love
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan & gluten free!)
- Healthy 4 Ingredient Reese’s Eggs
- Vegan Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- Healthy Peanut Butter Twix Bars (vegan & gluten free)
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Get all of our amazing vegan dessert recipes here!
I hope you love these gluten free & vegan chocolate chip cookies! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Blow Ya Mind Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free too!)
The best vegan chocolate chip cookies made in one bowl with a mix of almond flour and oat flour to keep them gluten free! These easy vegan chocolate chip cookies are deliciously chewy with crispy edges and tender middles. You truly won't need another vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe after this one!
- Wet ingredients:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
- ⅓ cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cup packed fine blanched almond flour
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour**
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, vanilla, flaxseed meal and almond milk until well combined and wet. Next, whisk in the melted and cooled coconut oil until completely smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl: almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Use a medium cookie dough scoop to grab cookie dough, or use your hands to grab about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place cookie dough 2 inches apart on the baking sheet to prevent cookies from baking into each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before removing them from the pan. You should get approximately 15 cookies.
**Learn how to make your own oat flour right at home with this simple tutorial!
If you prefer thicker cookies, I suggest refrigerating the dough for 10 minutes before baking. Otherwise, feel free to bake as is.
Get my full tutorial on how to freeze cookies two different ways here.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on April 16th, 2021, and republished on January 3rd, 2022.
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.