Banana bread pancakes that are perfectly sweet, fluffy and nutritious. Made with whole wheat flour and dairy free too!
Safe to say, I’m learning everything there is about being a first-time homeowner. Including when your oven breaks and you have to call the repair man to fix it. Who knew home repairs could be so ridiculously expensive?
Now that the oven is finally working again, I can get back to meal prep from the Healthy Glow Co. — that means these banana bread pancakes are on the menu this week.
My memories of pancakes are fond and not just because they’re a Saturday morning tradition. While nearly effortless to make, big, fat fluffy pancakes make any meal feel much more special, no matter what the day nor time. You agree?
Okay good — glad we’re on the same page.
These pancakes remind me of my favorite banana bread, a baked good that I make at least once per week. I wanted to transform my favorite bread into a healthy, nutritious and comforting breakfast for you to nosh on whenever deemed necessary. After a few different versions of the recipe, this one was perfect in every way.
Nothing wrong with a little banana bread pancake love for dinner either. We do it once a week in our home — with eggs and a side of turkey bacon.
Oh and just like any other banana bread, I highly recommend these with a healthy tablespoon of your favorite nut butter. It really doesn’t get any better.
Hope you love these pancakes; they’re apart of the meal plan in the Healthy Glow Guide,
The Healthy Glow Guide includes…
- 6 weeks of deliciously satisfying, nutritionally balanced meal plans (with daily treats!)
- Weekly grocery list organized by recipe
- 16, 30-minute workouts and weekly workout schedule
- All content developed in partnership with a registered dietitian and certified personal trainer
- Video demonstrations of each move
- Photo demonstrations of each move that can be saved to your phone and taken with you
- Private Facebook group to connect with our team and other women completing the program
- BONUS OPTION: 4 bonus workouts, including yoga, to add into the rotation.
- BONUS OPTION: A full video library of all 18 workouts in the Healthy Glow Guide, as well as the bonus workouts
Pin this recipe:
- Serves: 8 pancakes
- Serving size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Protein: 5.3g
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup mashed banana)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine mashed banana, egg, vanilla and almond milk until smooth and well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. If the batter looks too thick add just a splash more milk.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with coconut oil or butter and place over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet and spread out a bit with a spoon. Immediately add 5-7 chocolate chips to each pancake batter. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more coconut oil (or butter) and remaining batter. You may need to reduce the heat after the second batch to prevent burning. Serves 4, 2 pancakes each.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Photography by: Sarah Fennel