Best Tips & Tricks for Making Pancakes + Recipes!
Tips for making pancakes that are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and perfect every time! This step-by-step guide for cooking and flipping pancakes has all of the tips and tricks to make the best, easy pancakes.
Every single time I post a pancake recipe or share the pancakes I’m making on Instagram stories, tons of questions fly into my inbox from you all. Most of them range from: “how do I know when to flip my pancakes?” to “how do I prevent my pancakes from burning?”
Since I’m always getting questions, I thought I’d write a post on all my tips and tricks for making the best pancakes. Here we go!
Step 1: choosing the right pancake recipe
In order to make super fluffy pancakes, you’ll want to make sure your pancake recipe makes nice, thick batter. If the pancake batter you’re working with seems a bit runny or thin like water, I recommend adding a tablespoon or two more flour (or pancake mix).
Here are some of my go-to pancake recipes:
- Fluffy Vegan Pancakes V, GF
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes (made right in the blender!) GF
- Carrot Cake Pancakes GF
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes
- Kid-Friendly Banana Pancakes (4-ingredients!)
- Healthy Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 5-Ingredient Almond Flour Pancakes GF
- Fluffy Coconut Flour Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Maple Syrup GF
- Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes with Chocolate Chips
- Our Favorite Zucchini Bread Pancakes
- Cottage Cheese Banana Protein Pancakes GF
- Chai-Spiced Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Buttermilk Greek Yogurt Blueberry Pancakes
Step 2: use square or rectangular, completely flat nonstick griddle, and place over on medium-high heat to start
While it might be tempting to cook your pancakes on your regular, round pan, a flat griddle will have much more room for cooking and flipping your pancakes. You’ll want to place your griddle on medium-high heat to start.
Step 3: instead of butter, use olive oil
This is one of my biggest tips: to prevent pancakes from burning, use olive oil! Butter can easily burn on the stove, but olive oil gives pancakes nice, crispy edges without burning them. Olive oil will prevent your pancakes from sticking to the griddle, too. You’ll know when your pan is hot enough when the olive oil easily moves around your griddle.
Step 4: add your pancake batter to the griddle, and then turn the heat to medium-low
If you’ve ever wondered: “why are my pancakes not cooking?” and/or had an issue with your pancakes burning or your pan smoking, this tip is a game-changer!
After you’ve added about 1/4 cup cup of batter per pancake to your griddle, immediately turn your stove heat to medium or medium-low. This will ensure that your pancakes get crispy and golden brown on the outside, but that they cook on the inside.
Step 5: how to flip pancakes
So, how do you know when to flip a pancake?
- Your pancakes will be ready to flip when you see small bubbles appear around the edges, or after about 2-4 minutes.
- Using a heat proof somewhat wide nonstick flexible spatula, carefully peek under one of your pancakes and be sure it looks nice and golden brown before flipping. Do not use a metal spatula; it won’t be flexible enough!
- You should only flip your pancakes once, and remember to add any toppings like blueberries or chocolate chips before you flip your pancakes.
- After flipping, cook your pancakes for just about 2 minutes more until the underside is nice and golden brown.
Watch this video for all of my best pancake tips and tricks:
Tell me: what’s your favorite pancake recipe? Do you have any tips or tricks to share?
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.