Mother’s day is right around the corner. Each and every day I thank God how lucky I am to have a Mother who is kind, selfless, caring, and encouraging.
My mom lifts me up when I’m down, encourages me to always be the best person I can be, and absolutely loves me unconditionally. After my father passed away several years ago, my mom and I became inseparable. I’ve learned to keep the people you love close, let the little things go, and be appreciative of what you have.
Giving back to Mothers is such a hard thing to do. How can you give someone something who has given you everything? You really can’t. But making her pancakes is pretty close. They’re made with love after all.
These pancakes are incredibly fluffy, moist, and absolutely melt in your mouth. And there’s actually TWO secret ingredients that keep them light, fluffy and tender:
Buttermilk: The tang and richness it brings to baked goods is undeniable. I promise you’ll notice the difference. It’s slightly acidic and so when mixed with baking powder, it will allow the pancakes to rise and keep them from breaking down. The result is a tender fluffy pancake that will leave you speechless – promise.
Greek Yogurt: Adding greek yogurt to pancakes makes them the holy grail of breakfasts, I swear. It helps to thicken up the batter, but still leaves you with the lightest pancake. Pretty magical.
To make these extra special I added fresh blueberries and a little extra vanilla. I also used vanilla greek yogurt for a little bit of sweetness and additional vanilla flavoring.
If you’d still like to try these pancakes, but want to make them a little healthier, here are some suggestions:
- Replace the all-purpose flour with white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- Use 4 egg whites instead of 2 eggs
- Use plain nonfat greek yogurt
- To make a lighter buttermilk, mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk and let sit for five minutes, then use in the recipe.
If you’d like to know how to cook these pancakes perfectly, watch this fun video I created with Gold Medal Flour:
- 2 cups Gold Medal Flour All-Purpose Flour (or White Whole Wheat)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups low-fat buttermilk, plus extra if needed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 container (6 oz) Nonfat Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and yogurt until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter or cooking spray and heat over medium. Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Sprinkle tops with a few blueberries. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter.Makes 14-16 pancakes.