Vegan Banana Bread Mug Cake
Delicious vegan banana mug cake that takes just 5 minutes to make in the microwave with super simple ingredients! You’ll LOVE this easy banana bread mug cake for a fun, quick treat whenever the sweet tooth cravings hit. Tastes like a slice of banana bread and your favorite piece of cake!
Hello! It’s my FIRST mug cake on the blog! Are you ready for the most delicious, easiest dessert recipe of all time? Good, me too.
This vegan banana mug cake combines your favorite banana bread recipe (is it this one?) with a perfectly moist cake texture to give you an incredibly satisfying dessert you can eat any time. It literally takes 5 minutes from start to finish and uses just a handful of ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen. It’s seriously one of my new favorite ways to use up the overripe bananas chillin’ on my counter.
OH, and did I mention you make it in the microwave? That’s right! No oven required, so we’ll call it a no bake dessert.
If you’ve never made a mug cake before get ready to be mind blown. This easy banana bread mug cake can also be made gluten free, and is extra special with chocolate chips and some chopped walnuts! Make one for yourself and maybe for a loved one, too. It’s the ultimate dessert for date night, girls’ night, evenings with the kiddos, or just when that sweet tooth hits.
What is a mug cake?
Have you ever wanted just one delicious slice of cake but didn’t want to bake up a whole one? Well, you’re going to absolutely LOVE making mug cakes. A mug cake is literally just ingredients for cake mixed into a mug and microwaved. The result is an absolutely wonderful, single-serve cake that tastes like the real deal!
This banana mug cake comes together in just 5 minutes (right in your fav mug) and seriously tastes like an amazing banana cake. Get your mugs ready, kids!
Ingredients in this vegan banana mug cake
This easy banana bread mug cake uses super simple ingredients and the result is oh-so-delicious. Plus, it’s 100% vegan, so no need to deal with cracking eggs into your mug! You probably have all of these ingredients in your pantry:
- Banana: you’ll just need 1/2 of an extra ripe banana for that banana bread flavor and to sweeten the mug cake.
- Coconut oil: add the perfect amount of moisture with a little coconut oil.
- Brown sugar: you’ll only need a tablespoon of brown sugar for sweetening. Feel free to use coconut sugar instead to keep it refined sugar free.
- Flour: we’re keeping it simple with just a bit of all purpose flour.
- Cinnamon: get that cozy, warming flavor with ground cinnamon.
- Baking staples: just like any baking recipe you’ll also need vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.
- Optional: I LOVE adding some mini chocolate chips in the cake itself and on top. Get extra fancy with some chopped walnuts, too! If you’d like to keep the banana mug cake vegan, be sure to use vegan/dairy free chocolate chips like the ones linked.
Can I make it gluten free?
Yep! Feel free to simply use a 1:1 gluten free all purpose flour in place of the regular flour.
Make this banana mug cake in 5 simple steps
That’s right, this mug cake comes together in just a few steps and in 5 minutes total — including prep time:
- Mix the wet ingredients. Start by mashing the banana in a small bowl, then mix in the coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the dry. In the same bowl, mix in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts if you’re using them.
- Prep your mug. Spray a microwave safe mug with non-stick cooking spray, then pour the batter in. Top with more chocolate chips and walnuts if you’d like.
- Cook it up. Microwave the mug cake on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds until the batter is set.
- Cool & enjoy. Let the mug cake cool, then enjoy it straight from the mug!
Our best mug cake tips
Yes, this banana mug cake is incredibly easy to make, but these tips and tricks will ensure that it’s perfect every time:
- Use an extra ripe banana so that the mug cake is nice and sweet.
- Don’t forget the baking soda! No one likes a flat mug cake.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl first before adding them to your mug so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Be sure not to overcook the mug cake or it can get dense. It will be done when the top doesn’t look “wet” anymore.
Add some delicious toppings
While this vegan banana bread mug cake is delicious as-is straight from the microwave, we love topping it with:
- A drizzle of nut butter and maybe a sprinkle of sea salt
- Some vegan peanut butter caramel (OMG yes)
- Make a small batch of my famous peanut butter frosting to top your cake
- Melt a tablespoon of chocolate chips with a teaspoon of coconut oil and drizzle it up!
- Go traditional and top this banana mug cake with a scoop of your fav ice cream
Can I store it for later?
This banana bread mug cake is meant to be enjoyed right away as it is a single serving dessert. Grab a spoon and dig in while it’s warm!
More vegan desserts to try
- Blow Ya Mind Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free, too!)
- Peanut Butter Cup Freezer Fudge
- Grain Free Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie (vegan + paleo)
- Healthy 4 Ingredient Reese’s Eggs
- Vegan & Paleo Pecan Pie Bars
Get all of our amazing vegan dessert recipes here!
I hope you love this vegan banana bread mug cake! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Vegan Banana Bread Mug Cake
Delicious vegan banana mug cake that takes just 5 minutes to make in the microwave with super simple ingredients! You'll LOVE this easy banana bread mug cake for a fun, quick treat whenever the sweet tooth cravings hit. Tastes like a slice of banana bread and your favorite piece of cake!
- 1/2 extra ripe banana (about 1/4 cup mashed banana)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or sub 1:1 gluten free all purpose flour)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mini or regular chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
In a small bowl, mash the banana half. Add in the coconut oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix with a fork or whisk until well combined.
Next stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
Spray a microwave safe mug with non-stick cooking spray, then pour the batter into the mug.
Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips and chopped walnuts onto the batter if you’d like.
Place the mug in the microwave and microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the batter is no longer wet on top. Be careful not to cook for too long, or the cake will get tough.
Remove the mug from the microwave and let cool for a few minutes. Top with your favorite nut or seed butter, let cool, and dig in!
Reminder: Use an extra ripe banana so that the mug cake is nice and sweet.
A note on cook time: Be sure not to overcook the mug cake or it can get dense. It will be done when the top doesn't look "wet" anymore.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eats
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Download My FREE 7-Day Meal Plan
Join the AK email list and get my brand new, FREE Simple & Nourishing 7-day Meal Plan delivered to your inbox.