Remember these epic spicy tuna melts I made a few months ago? Idk about you, but I’m still dreaming about them. Spicy, cheesy, easy to make — what’s not to love?
I decided to take that classic sandwich, lighten it up and of course, add a flavor kick. These tuna stuffed peppers are equally as delicious but with a low carb, gluten free twist! When I first made them they were amazing, but then I added some hot buffalo sauce and OMG they were perfection.
The sweetness of the slightly roasted bell pepper with the savory bites of tuna, cheese and buffalo sauce truly makes an irresistible combo. Abra and I devoured these for lunch with a side of chips and knew we had to share them with you. Get these on your lunch or dinner menu ASAP with a side of your fav chips.
What you’ll need to make buffalo tuna stuffed peppers
Not only are these low carb tuna stuffed bell peppers easy to make but they’re also filled with super simple ingredients you may even have on hand. They’re the perfect clean-out-the-fridge and pantry recipe! Here’s what you’ll need to make them:
- Bell pepper: I like using red bell pepper because it’s the sweetest and pairs well with the savory tuna, but any bell pepper will work.
- Tuna: you’ll need one can of your favorite tuna. Note that tuna packed in olive oil tends to be more flavorful and moist (yes, I said it) than tuna packed in water.
- Veggies: we’re also mixing in some diced celery, shredded carrots and diced green onion for a little extra crunch.
- Greek yogurt: adding a little yogurt helps give the tuna mixture extra moisture and another boost of protein.
- Secret ingredients: what makes these tuna stuffed peppers extra special? A little dijon mustard and hot buffalo sauce!
- Salt & pepper: to bring out all the flavors.
- Cheese: top these babies with shredded cheddar cheese and watch the magic happen.
Can I swap the tuna?
While these are tuna stuffed peppers, this recipe is also great with shredded or minced chicken!
Customize your tuna stuffed bell peppers
Out of a few ingredients? Here are some great ways to customize:
- Make it heartier. Feel free to use regular bread instead of peppers if you’d like!
- Swap the yogurt. The tuna mixture is also great with mayo.
- Choose your sauce. I love mixing in hot buffalo sauce, but you can also use a mild buffalo sauce or skip it if you’re not a fan of the flavor.
- Pick your fav cheese. Topping the peppers with blue cheese would be the perfect combo with the buffalo flavor!
Low carb tuna stuffed peppers in 4 simple steps
Stuffed peppers may look a little fancy but they couldn’t be easier to make. Here’s how to make them:
- Prep your pan. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the peppers. Start by cooking the pepper halves in the oven with a little olive oil so they get slightly fork tender.
- Make the tuna mixture. Mix together your tuna, veggies, yogurt and sauces. Be sure to add salt and pepper to taste!
- Stuff & bake. Divide the tuna mixture into each bell pepper half, top with cheese and bake! Garnish with some cilantro and scallions (maybe more buffalo sauce, too) and enjoy.
Delicious pairings to try
Complete your lunch or dinner by pairing these low carb tuna stuffed peppers with one of these sides!
- Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Yogurt Curry Dip
- Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado
- Best Healthy Coleslaw Ever (no mayo!)
- Cauliflower Tots
- Tony’s Melt-In-Your-Mouth Grilled Brussels Sprouts
Looking for more? Get all of our delicious side dishes here!
I recommend eating these tuna stuffed peppers the same day you make them so that the textures and flavors are at peak deliciousness. If you have any leftovers, store them in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
More healthy lunch ideas
- 15-Minute Healthy Moroccan Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Spicy Jalapeño Cheddar Tuna Melt
- Crunchy Rainbow Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad Collard Wraps
- Honey Mustard Apple Tuna Salad
Get all of our amazing lunch recipes here!
I hope you love these fun tuna stuffed bell peppers! If you make them be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked them. Enjoy, xo!
Low Carb Buffalo Tuna Melts in Bell Peppers
Flavorful low carb tuna stuffed peppers mixed with veggies, greek yogurt & buffalo sauce and topped with layers of melted cheese! These easy tuna stuffed bell peppers make the perfect lunch paired with your favorite sides or even a protein packed, post workout snack.
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in half and seed removed
- Olive oil
- 1 (5 ounce) can tuna*, drained
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 1 tablespoon hot buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- To garnish:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add bell peppers to the baking sheet and drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil. Rub the outsides and insides of peppers with oil (you don’t need much!) and bake for 10-15 minutes until just slightly fork tender.
- While the peppers are baking, make the tuna mixture: In a medium bowl, mix together the drained tuna, diced celery, shredded carrots, diced green onion, greek yogurt, buffalo sauce and dijon mustard. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Evenly divide and scoop tuna mixture into cooked bell pepper halves. Sprinkle cheese on top; bake for 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro and scallions. Serves 2.
Feel free to double the recipe to serve 4. This recipe is also great with shredded or minced chicken.
*Tuna packed in olive oil will be moister and have more flavor than tuna packed in water.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eats