Last summer at my sister-in-law’s bridal shower we had the most AMAZING chicken salad. Truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of chicken salad as I found it too full of mayo for my own liking (don’t tell Abra), and I was never a fan of the grapes either.
After getting a taste of chicken salad at the party for the first time in many years, I kept thinking about how delicious it was and knew my own chicken salad recipe needed to happen! We put an AK twist on chicken salad that’s a bit healthier than the traditional version and packed with unique spices and tons of flavor.
When I first posted this greek yogurt chicken salad last year it was such a huge hit with AK readers that I knew I had to share it again. Get this on your weekday lunch menu ASAP!
The AK take on traditional chicken salad
If you grew up on the mayo-and-grape-filled chicken salad, you know what I mean when I say chicken salad could use a little upgrade. We lightened up this healthy chicken salad recipe by using protein-packed greek yogurt instead of mayo, which adds the perfect creaminess and tang.
Delicious, Moroccan-inspired spices like cinnamon, turmeric and cumin take the flavor of this greek yogurt chicken salad to the next level. It’s super fresh while have that cozy, comforting flavor. AMAZING.
What’s in this greek yogurt chicken salad?
This greek yogurt chicken salad recipe is made with minimal, fresh ingredients and is packed with protein thanks to plain greek yogurt. There are also dried cherries, crunchy pecans and of course, cilantro! You can feel free to mix and match ingredients as you so choose, but personally, I really love the recipe as is. It’s a great way to use up grilled chicken or even extra roasted shredded chicken. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this healthy chicken salad recipe:
- Chicken: you’ll need some cooked, diced or shredded chicken breast. Try one of our easy ways to cook chicken before making this recipe!
- Yogurt: you’ll need some plain greek yogurt, which will act as the base (and traditionally, the mayo) in this recipe.
- Tahini: this is optional, but I love the flavor and extra creaminess it gives the chicken salad. Soom is my favorite brand — use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen’ for 10% off your order!
- Mustard: a little dijon mustard adds the perfect tangy element.
- Spices: we’re adding some warming, Moroccan-inspired spices like cinnamon, turmeric and cumin to create a wonderful flavor. Add some cayenne if you want a hint of spice, and don’t forget a plenty of fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste!
- Herbs: for a lovely freshness you’ll need parsley, cilantro and green onion.
- Mix-ins: finally, we’re swapping the traditional grapes for sweet dried cherries and crunchy pecans or toasted almonds! SO GOOD.
Customize your healthy chicken salad
As I mentioned, this greek yogurt chicken salad is absolutely delicious as-is, but feel free to customize with what you have on hand:
- Make it vegetarian: if you want to keep the recipe vegetarian you can swap the chicken for chickpeas or even cubed tofu.
- Make it dairy free: simply use your favorite plain, dairy free greek yogurt.
- Use mayo: if you are a big mayo lover (like Abra), no shame! Feel free to use it in place of the greek yogurt, or do half and half.
- Choose your mix-ins: feel free to also use toasted, sliced almonds, dried cranberries or raisins.
Healthy chicken salad in 3 easy steps
This healthy greek yogurt chicken salad recipe is incredibly easy to make, which makes it the perfect meal prep lunch.
- Mix the base. Combine the yogurt, tahini, mustard and all of those spices. Mix until they’re well combined.
- Add the mix-ins. Add in the chicken, herbs, tart cherries and nuts until everything is well coated. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as you like.
- Serve & enjoy! Serve the greek yogurt chicken salad with crackers, in lettuce cups, on bread and more.
It’s a great way to get in a good amount of protein for lunch. You can also double the recipe and bring it to potlucks, BBQs and picnics!
Our fav ways to enjoy greek yogurt chicken salad
As I mentioned, the options are truly endless for serving and enjoying this healthy chicken salad! Here are some of our fav ways to do it:
- Serve it at your next BBQ with your favorite crackers like these 4-Ingredient Paleo Crackers or chips
- Add it to lettuce cups or even a collard wrap for a low carb, grain free lunch option
- Top your go-to sandwich bread (homemade, anyone?) or add it to a bun
How to store chicken salad
This healthy greek yogurt chicken salad should last 3-5 days in the fridge. After you make it, just be sure to cover it and place in an airtight container. Once ready to serve, simply place in lettuce cups, on a bun or in a sandwich! Yum.
More healthy packable lunch recipes you might like
- Honey Mustard Apple Tuna Salad on Sweet Potato Toast
- Crunchy Rainbow Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps
- Pumpkin Seed & Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Farmer’s Market Spicy Tuna Wraps
- Vegan Curry Chickpea Salad Collard Wraps
- Greek Salad Pinwheels
Get all of our delicious lunch recipes here!
I know you’re going to love this healthy greek yogurt chicken salad recipe, please let me know if you make it by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you and it helps encourage others to make the recipe too! xo.
Moroccan Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- 2 cups (12 ounces) diced cooked chicken breast (feel free to use rotisserie or shredded chicken)
- ½ cup whole milk greek yogurt (or 2% or nonfat)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional, but I love the addition of it!)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Optional if you like it a little spicy: 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dried cherries (or sub cranberries)
- ⅓ cup diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans (or sub toasted sliced almonds)
In a large bowl, add yogurt, tahini, dijon mustard, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth.
Fold in the diced chicken breast, tart cherries, green onion, parsley, cilantro and chopped pecans. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve as is, or in lettuce cups or on a sandwich or bun! Serves 4.
How to toast almonds or pecans: add nuts to a saucepan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until they are are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
If you want to use mayo instead of greek yogurt, feel free to! I prefer an avocado oil or olive oil based mayo.
How to store this chicken salad: This healthy greek yogurt chicken salad should last 3-5 days in the fridge. After you make it, just be sure to cover it and place in an airtight container. Once ready to serve, simply place in lettuce cups, on a bun or in a sandwich!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on June 28, 2020, and republished on July 25, 2021.