A few weeks ago, my sister in law had her bridal shower where they served the most AMAZING chicken salad. Truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of chicken salad as I found it too full of mayo for my own liking (don’t tell Abra), and I was never a fan of the grapes either.
After getting a taste of chicken salad at the party for the first time in many years, I kept thinking about how delicious it was and knew my own chicken salad recipe needed to happen! But of course, not just any chicken salad — this one was going to be a little bit more healthy than the traditional version, packed with unique spices and tons of flavor!
What’s in this greek yogurt chicken salad?
This chicken salad recipe is made fresh, minimal ingredients and packed with protein thanks to plain greek yogurt. There’s also dried cherries, crunchy pecans and of course, cilantro! You can feel free to mix and match ingredients as you so choose, but personally I really love the recipe as is. It’s a great way to use up grilled chicken or even extra roasted shredded chicken. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this healthy chicken salad recipe:
- cooked, diced chicken breast (or sub shredded chicken)
- plain greek yogurt
- tahini (optional, but I love the addition of it!)
- dijon mustard
- spices like cinnamon, turmeric and cumin (and cayenne if you want a hint of spice)
- fresh ground black pepper
- dried cherries (or sub cranberries)
- green onion
- pecans or toasted almonds
How to make healthy chicken salad
This healthy chicken salad recipe is incredibly easy to make — all you’ll need to do is combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. It’s a great way to get in a good amount of protein for an easy to make lunch. You can also double the recipes and bring it to potlucks, bbqs and picnics!
How to store chicken salad
This healthy greek yogurt chicken salad should last 3-5 days in the fridge. After you make it, just be sure to cover it and place in an airtight container. Once ready to serve, simply place in lettuce cups, on a bun or in a sandwich! Yum.
I hope you love this healthy chicken salad as much as Abra and I did. Feel free to serve it with chips for dipping, or bring it to your next bbq and watch guests go crazy for the unique Moroccan flavors. Best part is: no one can tell it’s healthy and in my opinion, that there’s no excess mayo involved (just protein packed greek yogurt!). Enjoy.
More healthy packable lunch recipes you might like:
I know you’re going to love this healthy chicken salad recipe, please let me know if you make it by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you and it helps encourage others to make the recipe too! xo.
Moroccan Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- 2 cups (12 ounces) diced cooked chicken breast (feel free to use rotisserie or shredded chicken)
- ½ cup whole milk greek yogurt (or 2% or nonfat)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (optional, but I love the addition of it!)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Optional if you like it a little spicy: 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dried cherries (or sub cranberries)
- ⅓ cup diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans (or sub toasted sliced almonds)
In a large bowl, add yogurt, tahini, dijon mustard, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth.
Fold in the diced chicken breast, tart cherries, green onion, parsley, cilantro and chopped pecans. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve as is, or in lettuce cups or on a sandwich or bun! Serves 4.
How to toast almonds or pecans: add nuts to a saucepan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until they are are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by Eat Love Eats