I’m going to be honest with you. Growing up, the only tuna-related recipe I loved was my Dad’s tuna pasta salad that he used to make in the summertime. I’d gobble it up the noodles, tangy flavor (probably thanks to mayo) and of course the addicting umami flavor of tuna.
Dad loved making that tuna salad for me and I loved eating it.
Years later my taste buds have gone into full blown adulthood and I can’t get enough tuna. There are days when Abra and I are so busy working away that we don’t have time to prep a big lunch so we usually mix a can of tuna with avocado or greek yogurt and nosh on it over a salad, or mixed with another creation from the week (like this broccoli chickpea salad!).
Today I’ve got another EASY tuna recipe for you that can literally be made in 10 minutes. Perfect for lunch or an easy dinner post-workout. And guess what? It all starts with my favorite can of Genova Yellowfin Tuna. Most of you probably know that I’ve been working with Genova for a few years now and for good reason:
- They have EASY OPEN CANS. No can opener required which means I can bring it on the go if necessary. A can of tuna + 1 avocado + bread = easy hiking lunch. Also great mixed with greek yogurt, honey, dijon and chopped apples!
- Genova Tuna is made with just olive oil, tuna and sea salt. That’s right, three simple ingredients make the tuna taste AMAZING, fresh and flavorful. And a little bit of olive oil helps to keep the tuna moist and keep flavor.
- Finally, I love Genova because they are committed to to sustainable seafood and are MSC Certified, the world’s leading certification standard for sustainable, wild-caught seafood. You can even trace their seafood on the Genova Seafood website!
These thai tuna patties are packed with fresh flavor from cilantro, a little spice thanks to cayenne pepper and savory thai flavor thanks to turmeric, ginger and garlic.
I’m OBSESSED and you will be too, especially after you top them with my easy-to-make cilantro cabbage slaw.
WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO MAKE THE THAI TUNA PATTIES:
More delicious tuna recipes to try:
Thai Tuna Patties with Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
Easy to make Thai Tuna Patties with a simple fresh cilantro cabbage slaw. You just need a few simple ingredients to make a high protein flavorful meal.
- For the slaw
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- A few dashes of hot sauce, if you like it spicy
- For the burgers
- 2 (5 ounce) cans Genova Yellowfin Tuna
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour (or ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs)
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- For topping:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 whole wheat or gluten-free hamburger buns
- Make your slaw. In a small bowl combine carrots, cabbage, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, sesame oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix together tuna, egg, coconut flour, cilantro, ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper until well combined. Break up the tuna with a fork and mix together until well combined.
- Use your hand to form four even patties. If they don’t seem like they are sticking together well, place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Add coconut oil to a nonstick skillet or griddle and place over medium heat. Add each patty to the skillet and cook for about 2-4 minutes, until golden brown, then carefully flip patty and cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to buns or lettuce wraps. Add avocado slices and cilantro cabbage mixture. Serve with extra hot sauce, aioli or mayo if you’d like. Serves 4.
This recipe is in partnership with Genova Seafood. Thanks for supporting Ambitious Kitchen and the brands that help make this site possible!