One of my absolute FAVORITE healthy salads to make during the summer is this strawberry spinach salad. It was one of the first salads that my husband Tony ate without ranch dressing and actually LOVED!
Now each time we grill up burgers or chicken sausages, I always make sure to have these strawberry spinach salad ingredients on hand so I can whip up our very favorite.
FREE Summer Salad E-book
Sign up below to get a FREE salad e-book with 5 of my very best summer salad recipes, plus amazing salad-making tips and hacks that you’ll come back to time and time again!
Ingredients in this strawberry spinach salad
This best ever strawberry spinach salad is packed with fresh ingredients to keep it bright, flavorful, healthy and fun to eat. You’ll need:
- Spinach: there’s something about strawberries and spinach together in this salad that just makes sense. Feel free to do half arugula and half spinach for a little more zing if you’d like!
- Fresh strawberries: grab a case of super juicy, ripe strawberries to add natural sweetness to this salad.
- Avocado: you’ll love the creaminess that avocado adds to every bite. I’d recommend choosing an avocado that isn’t too ripe so that it’s easier to cut and add to your salad. It should have just the tiniest bit of squeeze.
- Feta: the creamy, salty flavor feta gives to the salad is out of this world. You can also use goat cheese for a little more tang, or even gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles.
- Red onion: for a little zing to go with the creamy feta and sweet strawberries. If you’re sensitive to the onion flavor, simply soak the slices in water beforehand or omit from your salad.
- Roasted pistachios: for the perfect, nutty crunch. Or just use more almonds!
- Toasted sliced almonds: the texture of sliced almonds pairs perfectly well in addition to the pistachios.
- Homemade strawberry balsamic vinaigrette: a super easy dressing made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard, strawberry jam, salt & pepper (or feel free to try my yummy tangy and sweet raspberry balsamic vinaigrette!).
Lastly, my preference is to use organic spinach and organic strawberries because I think they pack more flavor and nutrients, but the choice is always yours.
Looking for a protein boost?
This strawberry salad recipe is delicious on its own or with your favorite proteins. Here’s what I suggest:
- 1 cup of chickpeas or cooked quinoa to keep it vegetarian
- Grilled chicken (use the strawberry balsamic vinaigrette as a marinade!)
- Grilled salmon
How to toast almonds
You can easily toast your own almonds right at home, and there are two ways to do it: on the stovetop or in the oven!
- Stovetop method: Add sliced almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool before adding them to the salad.
- Oven method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until fragrant and golden brown, stirring once halfway through baking. Watch carefully so that nuts do not burn!
Tips for making the best strawberry spinach salad
- Use firm avocados: firmer avocados are best in this salad because they’ll keep their shape. Check out exactly how to cut an avocado safely here!
- Mix and match nuts: the roasted pistachios and toasted almonds bring two different distinct nutty flavors and crunch to this spinach salad, which I appreciate, but if you prefer you can always sub toasted walnuts, pecans or even candied pecans! The options are endless.
- Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren’t available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They’ll all be delicious.
- Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I’m in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist!
What to pair this strawberry salad with
The options are truly endless when pairing this amazing strawberry salad. It’s the perfect side for parties, potlucks or simple summer dinners. I recommend:
- Grilled chicken (try these healthy chicken marinades)
- Black bean burgers
- Or even homemade grilled pizza!
It’s also perfect with cooked quinoa, barley, farro or couscous mixed in.
Make it ahead of time
Feel free to prepare all of the ingredients for the strawberry spinach salad ahead of time, but save the dressing until you’re ready to enjoy. Spinach can tend to soak up a lot of moisture, so it’s best to enjoy the dressed salad the day-of or one day later.
The avocado should stay fresh for a couple of days with help from the acidity from the balsamic. You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice if you plan on storing the strawberry spinach salad before dressing and serving it.
How to store this strawberry spinach salad
Store this strawberry spinach salad in an airtight container in the fridge, without the dressing, for up to 4-5 days. The dressing will stay good in a container in the fridge for up to one week as well.
More delicious salads to try
- Vegan Caesar Pasta Salad
- Cashew Crunch Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- California Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Italian Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Avocado Peach Tomato Salad with Dilly Tahini Dressing
Get all of our amazing salad recipes here!
If you make this summer strawberry spinach salad recipe, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. We’d also love if you would leave a comment below and rate the recipe. We appreciate you! xo.
Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado
Gorgeous summer strawberry spinach salad topped with avocado, feta, red onion, toasted almonds, pistachios and drizzled with a flavorful strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. The best ever strawberry salad recipe that's sweet, tangy, crunchy, creamy and the perfect lunch or easy side dish!
- For the salad:
- 1 package (5 ounces) organic spinach
- 8 ounces strawberries, halved (about 2 cups halved strawberries)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta crumbles
- ⅓ cup raw sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped shelled roasted pistachios
- For the balsamic strawberry vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
In a mason jar or small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients. Shake or mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt/pepper, if necessary.
Toast the almonds on the stovetop: add the almonds to a pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 2-5 minutes until almonds are slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Add spinach to a large bowl, layer on the strawberries, avocado slices, red onion, feta, toasted almonds, and chopped pistachios. Feel free to add dressing now or set it out for individual servings. Top salad bowls with extra toasted almonds and drizzle each bowl with 1/4 of the dressing. Serves 4.
This salad is best enjoyed the same day you make it to keep things nice and fresh, but will also be delicious the next day too.
Use a different fruit: if strawberries aren't available, try blueberries, peaches, raspberries or blackberries. They'll all be delicious.
Make your own DIY fruity balsamic vinaigrette: I'm in love with this dressing because you can use any fruit jam you like to really make it your own. Try raspberry, strawberry, blackberry or something else for a fun twist.
This was delicious and the dressing is so easy to make. This will be on repeat all summer!
Thanks for another great recipe!
Whoo hoo! So glad you liked it!
Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try!
Another pairing that I love is mango, avocado and feta!!
Hope you love this one! And that combo sounds delicious – will have to try next time 🙂
Loved this salad! Added grilled chicken for a complete meal.
I note your nutritional information does not include sodium levels and with feta cheese there will no doubt be sodium. This is important for those who have kidney disease.
Hi Bev, you are more than welcome to calculate the nutrition yourself if it is important to you. Sodium levels different per brand so that’s why we do not include it.
Love this salad
So happy to hear that!
Delicious, easy, and perfect for nights when it’s too hot to heat up the kitchen!
Absolutely! This one’s super refreshing 🙂
Can hardly wait to make this
For my family.
Hope they love it!!
I love this salad, thank you for sharing.
benefits of eating salad everyday
You used feta cheese in the salad recipe, you should have put sodium 0/0 for feta. If people change the cheese that is on them and they can then figure up the sodium 0/0 themselves. If you are going to post recipes, then post everything pertaining to that certain recipe.
I don’t typically include sodium in the nutrition information as different brands of certain ingredients can greatly vary in sodium content.
I substituted cubed bucheron and pumpkins seeds. Did not have any avocado. Everyone loved it. The dressing is fab!
Perfect! Glad everyone enjoyed!
Made this salad this afternoon. It was delicious. The sweetness of the strawberry is a wonderful counterbalance to the saltiness of the feta. The nuts made it perfect. I would totally recommend this salad and it is so quick and easy. Well done for creating this fabulous salad.
So happy you loved it!
this is probably the very first time I’ve come across a recipe that includes strawberries AND spinach! I’ve been looking for something like this forever. I’ve just added it to my list of recipes to try out for the summer. Thanks!!
Such a great combo! Enjoy 🙂
Fantastic! Even my partner who isn’t a big spinach lover loved this! Perfect balance of savoury and sweet.
Love that! So delicious 🙂
Love this recipe, yummy and healthy!
So happy to hear that!
Our boys thankfully love strawberries, avocados and salad, so this needs to happen here soon!
Perfect! Enjoy 🙂
Love love. This site
I’m so glad!
This was so good! Perfect blend of sweet and tangy!
So glad you enjoyed!
Looks Delicious Ill be making today !!!
This is delicious and has become a favorite in the family! I used mixed greens and spinach.
Yay! Happy everyone’s enjoying it!
Perfect summer salad with great flavors!!
They just go so well together! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Saw this recipe and immediately got all of the ingredients to make for lunches this week. I love a fresh summer salad and this strawberry salad is IT. I also added some blueberries and grilled chicken! Toasting the almonds is well worth it– really makes a difference! Will for sure be on repeat for this summer! LOVE
SO happy you loved it, Lauren! Great ideas to add other berries + chicken. Yummm!
Brought this to a bbq tonight and everyone LOVED it. Not only delicious but also beautiful to look at!
SO happy to hear! Hope you can make it again soon 🙂
Most delicious strawberry spinach salad I’ve ever made! Perfect for summer.
So happy you’re a fan, Haley! 🙂
This salad is AMAZING! It was easy to prepare! The ingredients and flavors work so well with each other! I can’t wait to eat this salad again tomorrow!
Yay!! So happy you’re loving it, Shellie 🙂
This salad is so delicious and the dressing is amazing! I used the extra dressing on other salads I made for lunch through the week and it was delicious on all of them!
Thanks for this recipe! Trying to find flavorful healthier recipes for my husband and I and this was so delicious! I omitted almonds because I forgot them:( I added cucumbers and used scallions instead of red onions because that’s what I had. Used a tangy goat cheese feta. So good!
Those are all great additions, Vicki! So happy that you loved it 🙂
Delicious salad. Took it to a bbq and got rave reviews
Oh yay!! So happy everyone loved it!
Thanks for your delicious recipe…….
Thanks for sharing the valuable information, this will be very much helpful
I just tried the summer spinach strawberry salad oh so good
Recepie tasted good buddy! Thanks for it!
Recepie looks amazing! Have to try it for sure!
Loved this salad! I didn’t have the sliced almonds or pistachios but it was still delicious! I can’t wait to make it again with those ingredients next time.
Love this amazing Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado, thanks for sharing with us.
A great summer side salad or an entree on its own! I was out of feta the second time I went to make it and subbed blue cheese and it was awesome! Definitely recommend. I don’t regularly have dates on my pantry so skipped those, but I almost always have all the other ingredients to make this so it has become a go to!
I have been making this at least once a week since I tried it. Seriously so delicious!
Love this delicious Summer Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado,super excited to try this one , thanks for sharing this one with us.
This salad is AMAZING!! The dressing is delicious and all of the salad ingredients pair together beautifully! I increased the strawberry jam in the dressing as well as the overall dressing amount because I like a lot of dressing, Thank you!
Great call! So happy you love it 🙂
Tasty and Yummy too!
So glad you loved it!
I have been making this at least once a week since I tried it. Seriously so delicious!
So thrilled to hear that!
Me and my GF made this and it’s bomb! Good stuff thanks!
Nice!! So glad you both loved it. Thanks for commenting, Sean!
Really yummy and perfect for summer!