Who else is ready to slide into cozy slippers, put on fleece pajamas (or an adorable oversized sweater), make a cup of hot chocolate, watch reruns of Felicity and get ready for some beautiful crisp fall weather?
However, we’ve still got a few weeks of delicious end-of-summer produce to enjoy including juicy peaches, fresh garden herbs and heart-healthy creamy avocados. Thankfully, I’ve got a delicious healthy recipe for you to enjoy before summer ends.
Say hello to this beautiful firecracker salmon recipe with a scrumptious, fresh peach avocado salsa. I have literally never been more obsessed with a fruit salsa in my life.
What type of salmon is best for cooking?
You’ll need 1 pound of salmon in this recipe. You can choose wild or farmed, it’s up to you.
- Farm-raised salmon tends to be milder in flavor and more fatty/buttery in texture
- Wild salmon can be a little more spendy but is leaner, pinker, and higher in minerals such zinc and iron. Both are delicious!
Homemade firecracker marinade
Can we talk about the delicious firecracker marinade for a sec?! It makes the salmon taste both sweet + a little spicy and pairs well with the sweetness of the peaches and the creaminess of the avocado. Healthy eating has never been this beautiful. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- The base: you’ll need oil (I like olive or avocado oil), reduced-sodium soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.
- The sweetness: we’re naturally sweetening this firecracker marinade with some honey.
- The heat: get that spicy, firecracker flavor with red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper!
- The extra flavor: don’t forget minced garlic and freshly grated ginger.
Fresh & delicious peach avocado salsa
You’re going to LOVE the sweet, creamy and delicious pairing of the peach avocado salsa with the heat of the spicy salmon. Gather up all that fresh produce and top your filets!
Cook this firecracker salmon in the oven
Yes, you can easily make this delicious firecracker salmon right in the oven!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Generously season your salmon with the amazing lemon garlic honey marinade.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and grease lightly with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Place salmon skin side down on baking sheet. Pour/brush marinade over the top of the salmon.
- For every inch of thickness, bake for 15 minutes. My salmon is usually perfect around 16-18 minutes. Flake salmon with a fork and serve!
Try it on the grill
Get that delicious char flavor by grilling this firecracker salmon!
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, pour or generously brush the firecracker marinade over the salmon.
- Place salmon skin side down first on grill or on foil (to seal in the flavors!) close grill lid and grill about 6-8 minutes. It’s easier to grill skin side down first so you can slide a spatula under the skin for flipping once it crisps up.
- Carefully flip salmon and cook 6-8 more minutes or until cooked well. Salmon is tricky, but just like baking it, it’s best to undercook rather than overcook your filets.
By the way, if you still have extra peaches leftover, I highly suggest my gluten free peach crisp for dessert!
What to serve with this firecracker salmon
The best part about this sweet and spicy firecracker salmon is how versatile it is for serving with your fav sides. Here’s what I suggest:
- Enjoy it with a side of brown rice, black forbidden rice (my fav), quinoa, or my famous green rice
- Grill up a side of Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries or Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- Top leafy greens, add a side of your fav veggies or enjoy with Peach, Tomato & Corn Arugula Pasta Salad
More salmon recipes you’ll love
- 30 Minute Chili Maple Lime Salmon Bowls with Forbidden Rice
- Blackened Salmon Tacos with Forbidden Rice & Mango Guacamole
- Honey Lemon Garlic Salmon
- Spicy Maple Glazed Salmon for Two!
- Damn Good Salmon Taco Bowls For Two
Get all of our delicious seafood recipes here!
I hope you love this delicious firecracker salmon recipe. If you make it, leave a comment below and don’t forget to rate the recipe so others can see how you liked it!
Firecracker Salmon with Peach Avocado Salsa
Delicious sweet and spicy firecracker salmon topped with a wonderful, fresh peach avocado salsa. This firecracker salmon recipe can be baked or grilled for a healthy weeknight meal that everyone will love! Serve with your favorite sides, rice, quinoa or even in tacos.
- For the salmon:
- 1 ½ pounds salmon
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- For the peach salsa:
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 peach, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely diced cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Make your salmon marinade: In a small bowl whisk together avocado oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, crushed red pepper, and ginger.
Add your salmon to a large bowl skin side up (so that the salmon sits in the sauce) and pour marinade over the top. Cover and place salmon in the fridge for no more than 1 hour
While your salmon is marinating, make your peach salsa. Add avocado, peach, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper to a medium sized bowl and mix until well-combined.
Once ready to bake salmon, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place salmon on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and place marinated salmon skin side down. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until salmon easily flakes with fork.
Top salmon with peach avocado salsa and serve with brown rice, black rice quinoa, or extra veggies for a full meal. Serves 4.
Directions for grilling the salmon: Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat. I would also lightly brush both sides of the salmon (including the skin) with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking. Be sure to also generous oil your grill. Place salmon skin side down first on grill, close grill lid and grill about 6-8 minutes. Carefully flip salmon and cook 6-8 more minutes or until cooked well. Salmon is tricky, but it's best to undercook rather than overcook your filets.