Delicious and easy 30 minute dinner for two: Chili Maple Lime Salmon Bowls with amazing mango & edamame mixed with sweet forbidden rice.
Lately, we’ve been loving salmon. It’s the BEST easy healthy meal out there, am I right?
Just the other day, I stepped into Whole Foods after a class at Crosstown Fitness. Usually I head there after my workout. Normally I shop at Trader Joe’s because it’s much cheaper, but Whole Foods happens to be incredibly convenient when I need last minute ingredients. Plus sometimes they have pretty good deals on produce (all the berries right now!).
Anyway the guy behind the fish counter started talking to me about Copper River King Salmon. Apparently it’s only seasonal 3 weeks out of the year and comes straight from Alaska. He kept going on about how it was the best salmon, and I could tell by the bright red color that it was unique. Thankfully, he was kind enough to give me a small sample of the king salmon… and it was AMAZING. Unfortunately I will say the price per pound was kind of out of control, which is why I opted to get their other salmon they had, but I’m still thankful for the opportunity to have sampled it.
Have any of you had Copper River King Salmon before? I’d love to know what you think!
Anyway, onto these amazing salmon bowls that are a quick, easy dinner for 30 Minute Thursdays.
Let’s talk salmon & forbidden rice!
Black rice on errrthang please. Plus the name forbidden rice just sounds cool.
The salmon glaze is another favorite of mine inspired by a former vegetarian dish. I used essentially the same dressing to glaze the salmon and it turned out beautifully sweet, tangy and with plenty of good flavor from the chili powder and garlic. YUM.
I think you’ll LOVE this easy meal. If you plan it right, you can have dinner done in 30 minutes. ENJOY! xo
Pin this recipe:
- Serves: Serves 2
- Serving size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 19.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 57.8g
- Sugar: 16.9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 40.8g
- 2 (6 oz) wild salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked black rice (also known as forbidden rice)
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked shelled edamame
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- To garnish: Cilantro and green onion
- Optional: Avocado slices
- First cook the rice: Add 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of forbidden rice to a small pot and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes. Once rice is done stir in mango, coconut oil, edamame and salt.
- While the rice cooks, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the glaze from burning. Place salmon filets 2 inches apart on parchment paper, skinside down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, lime juice, chili powder and garlic. Pour or generously brush the glaze over the salmon, reserving 1 tablespoon for glazing once salmon is done. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until salmon is done and flakes with a fork.
- Divide mango & rice mixture between two bowls, and add salmon on top. Garnish with green onion and cilantro if desired.
- If you time this correctly, this can easily be a 30 minute dinner from start to finish.