Who here loves chips? *Everyone raises their hand*
Seriously though, everyone loves a good crunchy, perfectly salted tortilla chip. They easily complete sandwiches, make turkey chili 10x better than it already is and just so happen to be the perfect companion to guacamole.
When I was growing up, there were several ‘staple’ grocery items my Mom always purchased: sesame bagels with salted butter, crunchy carrots with hummus, leafy greens, and… tortilla chips! She always had a bag of chips open and ready to be devoured. #ChipAddictSince1993
Today, I want to introduce you to a new tortilla chip brand in my life: Way Better Snacks! OH MY GOODNESS, if you haven’t heard of these chips yet then you’re in for a delicious surprise. Tony and I are overly obsessed with the blue corn (Tony’s fav) nacho cheese, sweet chili and spicy sriracha flavors. I’m not lying when I say we look for excuses to enjoy them; I actually make guacamole and purchase salsa just so we can dig in with these wonderful whole grain bad boys.
Hang on one sec, before we get to the recipe, I just want to share a little more exciting news about the chips…
Way Better Snacks chips are made with sprouted seeds so that they’re easier for your tummy to digest. They’re also gluten free, non-gmo and contain ingredients like sprouted flaxseed, sprouted quinoa and sprouted kale seed! Don’t worry though, the chips don’t taste ‘green’ or anything of that nature. They’re crunchy, tasty and basically perfect.
Of course, because I love the chips so much I thought it would be fun to create an easy recipe for you to make with my favorite Spicy Sriracha flavor. That’s right… Sriracha Tortilla Chip Crusted Baked Jalapeno Poppers. A delicious mouthful that you’ll want to devour ASAP after baking.
As you probably already know, jalapeno poppers are typically fried. While they’re a tempting appetizer at a restaurant, the calories can add up quickly. So then I thought, why not bake them? You’ll know the exact ingredients that are being used and they’re just as delicious (if not more).
In most restaurants, one jalapeno popper can be almost 100 calories.
My version comes in at around 58 calories per pepper. And there’s not artificial about them.
These baked poppers made the ultimate party appetizer or snack and just so happen to be a breeze to make: All you have to do is fill each jalapeno half with a light cream cheese/cheese mixture, drench in an egg coating and a crunchy tortilla chip crust. Then bake, eat and enjoy!
- Serves: 20 jalapeno poppers
- Serving size: 1 jalapeno popper
- Calories: 58
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5g
- Sugar: 0g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.8g
- 10 Jalapeños, sliced in half, membranes and seeds removed
- 40 Way Better Snacks Spicy Sriracha Tortilla Chips
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (regular milk also works)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the Way Better Snacks Spicy Sriracha Tortilla Chips and process until they resemble fine crumbs (like bread crumbs). Transfer to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese and milk until combined. Set aside.
- In another separate bowl, beat together egg and egg white. Set aside.
- Stuff each jalapeno half with cream cheese mixture. Do not overfill.
- Dip each stuffed pepper half in the egg mixture completely, then roll the pepper in the chip mixture and place pepper on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with each pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve while the poppers are hot!
This post is in partnership with my friends at Way Better Snacks, a brand I know and trust. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible!