Tortilla chip crusted baked jalapeno poppers recipe that’s easy, amazing and better than the fried version! Perfect appetizer for entertaining.
Who here loves chips? *Everyone raises their hand*
Seriously though, everyone loves a good crunchy, perfectly salted tortilla chip. They easily complete sandwiches, make turkey chili 10x better than it already is and just so happen to be the perfect companion to guacamole.
When I was growing up, there were several ‘staple’ grocery items my Mom always purchased: sesame bagels with extra salty butter, crunchy carrots with hummus, leafy green salads, ice cream and… tortilla chips! She always had a bag of chips open and ready to be devoured. #ChipAddictSince1993
I”m curious: what’s your favorite tortilla chip? Personally, I love Way Better Snacks, Siete Grain Free Chips (OMG SO GOOD YOU MUST TRY) and of course, the original Sun Chips. We’re definitely a chip family over here. Every time I go over to Tony’s parents house, they have at least 6 bags of chips at their house.
Personally I don’t know if I have enough self control to have that many bags of chips in my house at one time.
Of course, because we’re serious chip lovers over here I thought it would be fun to create an easy recipe for you. Say hello to these tortilla chip crusted baked jalapeno poppers that are way better than the fried version at Applebee’s. A delicious mouthful that you’ll want to devour ASAP after baking.
As you probably already know, jalapeno poppers are typically fried. While they’re a tempting appetizer at a restaurant, they also leave you feeling overly full. So then I thought, why not bake them? You’ll know the exact ingredients that are being used and they’re just as delicious (if not more).
There’s not artificial about them.
These baked poppers made the ultimate party appetizer or snack and just so happen to be a breeze to make: All you have to do is fill each jalapeno half with a lightened up cream cheese/cheese mixture, drench in an egg coating and a crunchy tortilla chip crust. Then bake, eat and enjoy!
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE JALAPENO POPPERS:
If you make this recipe, please be sure to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It makes a difference and I love hearing from you! You can also show me your creations by tagging #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram.
- Serves: 20 jalapeno poppers
- Serving size: 1 jalapeno popper
- Calories: 58
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5g
- Sugar: 0g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1.8g
- 10 Jalapeños, sliced in half, membranes and seeds removed
- 40 of your favorite tortilla chips (I suggest a flavored version)*
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (regular milk also works)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the Way Better Snacks Spicy Sriracha Tortilla Chips and process until they resemble fine crumbs (like bread crumbs). Transfer to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese and milk until combined. Set aside.
- In another separate bowl, beat together egg and egg white. Set aside.
- Stuff each jalapeno half with cream cheese mixture. Do not overfill.
- Dip each stuffed pepper half in the egg mixture completely, then roll the pepper in the chip mixture and place pepper on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with each pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve while the poppers are hot!
PIN THESE JALAPENO POPPERS: