Sweet potato black bean tacos with an addicting avocado lime crema. These easy to make tacos are perfect for vegetarians or a meatless weeknight dinner!
Let me just tell you that I’ve basically been obsessed with Jessica’s recipes for years. She’s an inspiration to many, dedicated to her craft and incredibly talented when it comes to creating epic, creative flavor combinations. She’s also a beauty product fanatic, which makes me love her even more.
Since I love tacos, but don’t make them at home nearly enough, I decided that Jessica’s Butternut Squash Black Bean tacos were going to happen on the blog. Unfortunately finding butternut squash this year can be a little difficult, so I opted for the always seasonal sweet potato. Where my sweet tayta lovers at?
These tacos are simple to make and involve a super addicting avocado lime crema (also slightly adapted from Jessica’s original recipe). I added avocado because I love the creamy texture it gives the tacos and helps cool the jalapenos down a bit.
Look I don’t know what else to say about these bomb veggie tacos, other than you’re going to fall in love. And if you don’t already have The Pretty Dish, then add it to your Amazon cart ASAP. The cookbook is full of more than 150 everyday recipes & 50 beauty DIYs to nourish your body in and out.
To be completely honest, it’s one of my favorite cookbooks I’ve had in quite sometime and I CANNOT wait to make more recipes from it soon!
Hope you love the tacos as much as Abra and I did! xoxo!
- Serves: 2 servings (2 tacos per person)
- Serving size: 2 tacos with avocado crema
- Calories: 496
- Fat: 16.3g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrates: 79.1g
- Sugar: 15.1g
- Fiber: 13.5g
- Protein: 12.6
- For the Avocado Lime Crema:
- 1/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup water, to thin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or chipotle chili powder
- Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the tacos:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups cubed sweet potatoes (from 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, warmed or at room temp
- For topping:
- 1/2 cup black beans
- Jalapeño slices
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Optional: Extra avocado slices
- To make the tacos:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, minced garlic and chili powder. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pour mixture over the top. Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat. Roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing a bit halfway through.
- While the tacos are cooking, prepare you avocado lime crema, by adding all crema ingredients to a blender or food processor and processing until smooth and creamy. Add additional water if necessary to thin out.
- Assemble the tacos by filling the tortillas with the sweet potatoes. Top with the cabbage, black beans, avocado, jalapenos and a drizzle of the avocado lime crema. Serves 2; make 2-3 tacos per person. Feel free to double the recipe for meal prep.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Leave out the Greek yogurt in the crema and use extra avocado instead!
Pin these tacos: