I hope you guys aren’t getting sick of zucchini week because I’ve had such an amazing time bringing you new recipes. For example: these baked zucchini donuts bursting with fresh, juicy blueberries and finished with a white chocolate drizzle.
Seriously so dreamy and perfect with a cup of coffee.
My mom’s in town right now and it’s been such a blessing to not only spend time with her but also to have a sidekick when it comes to recipe development. She has vast experience with food, from being a vegan chef to planning corporate events and weddings. Basically Lynn has been killing the food game since her birth year of 1959 (celebrate your age!).
Now it’s time to discuss donuts! If you know me or have read AK a few times, you know I’m obsessed with donuts. And I mean, actually obsessed. My Dad used to take me every Sunday to get donuts and I’ve always had this nostalgic fondness for them. Obviously, donut week should also happen on AK — what are your thoughts on that?
These particular blueberry zucchini donuts were inspired by one of my favorite donuts, the blueberry fritter donut from Stan’s Donuts in Chicago. Granted these are no blueberry fritter (they’re baked, not fried!) but they still made me insanely happy — especially with the white chocolate drizzle.
I’ve got a few ways for you to make them gluten free or vegan, if desired. Annnddd because I love you I’ve also added a way to enhance these with a little lemon.
Hope you enjoy these baked blueberry zucchini donuts. They’re the most wonderful way to get your fruit & veggies in… right?!
Zucchini week so far…
Monday: Allergy Friendly Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread GF & V
Wednesday: Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan with Zucchini Noodles GF
- Serves: 9 donuts
- Serving size: 1 donut with glaze
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 26.1g
- Sugar: 9.9g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 3.3g
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini unpeeled, squeezed well of all moisture
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (honey will also work)
- 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk will work)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- For the white chocolate glaze
- 2 oz high-quality white chocolate bar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir well with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl mix together all wet ingredients: shredded zucchini, egg, maple syrup, almond extract, coconut oil and almond milk. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Spoon the batter into donut pan, filling almost to the top. Bake at 350 for about 13-17 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn donuts on a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make the white chocolate drizzle: Place a saucepan over low heat and add in white chocolate and coconut oil. Stir until melted then remove from heat and drizzle on donuts. Makes 9 donuts.
Want to make these gluten free? Simply sub a gluten free all purpose flour for the whole wheat flour. You may also need to reduce the almond milk a little. The batter should resemble a quick bread batter consistency.
Want to make these vegan? I actually think a flax egg would work amazing in this recipe. I haven't tried it, but let me know if you do!