Low carb chicken zucchini enchilada bake with layers upon layers of creamy, flavorful goodness: Refried beans, cheese, chicken, zucchini and a homemade enchilada sauce!
Zucchini party should be a legit thing that people have. You get together with all your friends who have a zucchini surplus, make various zucchini recipes and walk aways with different delicious meals.
Only suggesting this because readers are often emailing me asking what to do with their zucchini. I’m not sure if you guys are buying it in bulk or what, but there’s my suggestion for you: an epic #zucchiniparty.
All jokes aside, one of the reasons I love zucchini is because it can replace various pasta and still holds up quite well. Take for example, this delightful zucchini enchilada casserole made with creamy refried beans, my favorite homemade enchilada sauce, corn, chicken and Go Veggie cheese. NOMS. It’s good for just about everything, including loading your chips up with. If you haven’t had Go Veggie cheese before, it’s a really wonderful alternative to regular cheese. They even make vegan versions for you to try out!
And here’s the kicker: zucchini slices are used instead of corn tortillas.
uhhhhh huh honey.
If you’re looking for an easy, veggie filled meal, then choose this one. And if you’re feeling lazy, that’s cool too — just chop up the zucchini and saute it a little, then throw everything in a casserole dish with some cheese on top. Guaranteed love at first bite.
Highly recommend topping with guacamole, hot sauce and cilantro too. Enjoy! xo
Pin this recipe:
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6g
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 27.7g
- Homemade enchilada Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water (or broth of choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the casserole:
- 2 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/8" thick slices
- 1 cup refried beans (I like black bean)
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound chicken breast)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn
- 1 1/2 cups Go Veggie Cheddar Shreds or regular shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Make enchilada sauce: Heat oil in a medium pot over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and stir for 30 seconds to allow the spices to cook a bit. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, water and apple cider vinegar then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if necessary. Makes about 2 cups of enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Place zucchini slices evenly over sauce to cover and create a single layer. Next spread half of the refried beans (you may need to warm them to help spread), half of the shredded chicken, half of the corn, half the onion and half the pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers again, starting with remaining enchilada sauce, zucchini slices, refried beans, chicken, corn, onion, red pepper and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with any remaining enchilada sauce, then finishing with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 30 minutes covered with foil, then remove cover and bake another 10-15 minutes. Top with jalapenos, cilantro, greek yogurt and hot sauce, if desired! Serves 6.
This recipe is in partnership with Go Veggie cheese, a brand I know and trust. Thanks for supporting AK & the brands that help make this site possible.