Blue Corn Breakfast Tacos with Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Salmon, Avocado + Dill
If you made my favorite brown butter + sea salt chocolate chip cookies this past weekend and left me a comment or sent me an email then quite frankly, I love you! I am trying my best to respond to each of you to let you know that your sweet (and funny!) messages make me smile and are sincerely appreciated.
I think the best part is that many have told me that they are the best cookie you have ever had! But most of all I think you should be proud of yourself because you officially now know how to brown butter (which will particularly good for more Fall recipes I have coming)! Hehe.
Of course, I realize that many of you read my blog for my creative, healthy recipes, but I’d like to emphasize that I believe in moderation. I once lived life eating healthy all the time, depriving myself of the things I wanted the most. I ate egg whites, oatmeal, protein shakes, vegetables and lean meats consistently. I rarely touched a cookie or ate pie (my favorite)… shocking, I know. However I realized the joy that came to me when cooking for others and especially loved educating on healthy eating; that’s why most of my recipes have healthy twists while still being creative enough to make you feel like a chef in your own kitchen. Simply put, Ambitious Kitchen is about inspiring you. I’m bringing my passion for food to life through your eyes.
Now, I don’t believe in any one ‘diet’, but I exercise almost daily, eat consistently healthy, and indulge occasionally. So although this blog is not a health or fitness blog, it is geared to those with active lifestyles or of course, anyone looking to learn to cook for themselves.
Or if you just love staring at photos of food like this delicious breakfast (or anytime, really) taco.
This recipe came about when I had an intense craving for smokey, salty salmon with warm, fluffy eggs; a combination frequently found on a typical restaurant’s brunch menu. So off I went to stalk Trader Joe’s where I made about 17 different loops around the store just to drool over everything new. If you shop at Trader Joe’s, you know what I’m talking about.
I was so excited when I found these amazing blue corn tortillas! I am even more excited that I bought two packages so that I can make homemade blue corn tortilla chips for football games I don’t even watch.
While I am not a huge football fan, I am a fan of anything wrapped in a taco that I can devour.
And devour these is exactly what I did.
The creamy smashed avocado pairs perfectly with fluffy scrambled eggs, salmon, and dill. I loved it in the warm blue corn tortilla, and next time I might even add a little goat cheese. But here’s the best part: this only takes about 10 minutes to throw together, it’s inexpensive, and you can eat it anytime.
One last thing: Ambitious Kitchen will continue to shift and change as I figure out where I want to take it, but I always appreciate any feedback you have or what you’d like to see on the blog. I frequently post questions for my Facebook fans so be sure to like my Facebook page, or you can follow me on Twitter where I often tweet what recipe I’m making next. As always, if you ever have questions or comments please send me an email!
Now… let’s eat!
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 eggs + 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, smashed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz. thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 blue corn tortillas
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Place avocado in a medium bowl and mash with a fork, add lemon juice and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Next melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until large curds begin to form. When eggs look barely set, remove from heat immediately. Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave or over a gas stove on low heat so the edges become slightly golden brown and crispy.
- Spread mashed avocado over each blue corn tortilla. Spoon eggs over avocado and add salmon over the eggs, top each with a bit of dill and add salt and pepper to taste.