Welcome to day 2 of zucchini week! Yesterday I gave you a delish bread recipe & today we’re all about cookies that taste like banana bread. Whoo hoo!
Since I couldn’t remember the last time I gave you a cookie recipe, I decided that today was the day to make it happen. We’re starting off with these BIG healthy VEGAN zucchini oatmeal cookies studded with ooey-gooey chocolate chips, whole grains & banana.
Dare I say that these are healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast? That’s how I eat them anyway. Two eggs + a warm banana zucchini oatmeal cookie dunked in vanilla almond milk. Mmmmm hmmmm. Sounds heavenly, right?
I can assure you that it really, really is.
For over a year I’ve wanted to make zucchini cookies but put off baking them because too many other zucchini goodies were dancing around in this brain of mine. Forgive me? They’re here now and ready to be devoured.
SOFT & CHEWY TEXTURE: These cookies are soft & chewy thanks to the oats, zucchini and banana. They basically taste like banana bread cookies, which of course who could resist?
NATURALLY SWEETENED: These cookies are sweetened with banana and just two tablespoons of maple syrup. Yes chocolate chips that are added; however, the cookies themselves aren’t overly sweet. If you want you can skip adding the maple syrup. I tested them both ways and liked the version with a tiny bit of added sweetener better.
I’ve included some adaptations in the recipe notes below including how to make them gluten free, if desired.
Hope you love these cookies & are loving zucchini week! I’ll be back with another zucchini recipe tomorrow and every day this week so be sure to check in. xo!
- Serves: 14 cookies
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 149
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 1.7g
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashoned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (from about 2 medium bananas)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel*
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (can also use honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, vegan if desired
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Before you mix your wet ingredients, make sure you have squeezed your shredded zucchini of excess moisture with a paper towel or cheesecloth. THIS IS IMPORTANT!
- In a separate large bowl, mix together mashed banana, shredded zucchini, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract until well combined. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. The dough will seem wet and sticky, but that's okay -- don't worry!
- Use 1/4 cup to measure out dough and drop on baking sheet, placing cookie dough 2 inches apart from one another. Slightly flatten with the palm of your hand. Bake for 13-16 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on the edges. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 14 cookies.
If you have a coconut allergy, feel free to use grapeseed oil or light olive oil instead! A vegan butter would also work well.
Nutrition information does not include chia seeds or walnuts.
Cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply place in freezer safe ziploc bag or container. Thaw or reheat to enjoy!
Want to make these cookies more nutritious? Add in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds or a flax egg to increase fiber & protein!
If you make this recipe or any other from Ambitious Kitchen, I’d love to see your creations! Snap a photos, upload it to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen!