I am having a love affair with Zac Efron. Not like an actual affair, just one that lives in my mind. He’s just SO ridiculously good-looking! I feel like if I baked him chicken he’d feel the same way about me.
Anyway this whole Zac Efron thing stemmed from watching The Lucky One for the second time. I know, poor movie choice. The only excuse I can come up with is that Valentine’s Day is around the corner and I just so happen to be a sucker for anything romantic. So sue me!
Besides good-looking men, my other obsessions this week include peanut butter and jelly chocolate bars from Trader Joe’s, lentil soup, and green beans with garlic. Yum, yum, yummmmmm. Seriously I could write a book about the intricacies of garlic and how I slather it in and on just about anything you can imagine.
Or I could just tell you about the garlic and parmesan crusted chicken I made and how it turned out golden brown and incredibly crispy.
Yeah, let’s go with that.
Sometimes I feel like it’s hard to make chicken delicious. Often, I’ll purchase a pound and just stare at the package, trying to figure out what to season it with or how I can incorporate it into a meal. This time I jazzed it up a bit with a crispy coating and loads of flavor. New obsession? Of course.
The chicken is marinated in olive oil, a bit of greek yogurt (to keep the chicken moist), garlic, lemon juice, and fresh herbs for 30 minutes. Once finished soaking up the love, it’s coated in panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and baked to a crisp. Delicious is what it is! Plus, it’s perfect paired with my garlic-roasted red potato wedges and a salad.
Crispy Garlic + Parmesan Oven-Fried Chicken
Delicious oven-friend chicken with a perfectly crispy parmesan coating. A marinade with garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs keeps the chicken ultra moist and flavorful. This easy recipe will be your new go-to for weeknight dinners.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt, mayo, or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Place chicken breasts in large ziploc bag and add olive oil, yogurt, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Zip shut and shake bag to evenly distribute marinade. Place bag in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the oven 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and fit with a wire rack. Spray the rack with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
- Place panko and cheese into a shallow large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Once chicken is done marinating, remove from bag and place on a large plate. Pat off excess marinade from the chicken, you don't want it too wet! Sprinkle chicken with a bit more salt and pepper and dip into the panko-cheese mixture, tossing to evenly coat. Place the chicken onto prepared wire rack and repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Spray the top of the chicken with a bit of olive oil cooking spray.
Bake for about 25-35 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Garnish with fresh chopped basil, herbs, or additional cheese if desired. Note: baking times will differ depending on the size of your chicken breasts.