Secretly healthy chickpea blondies made with chickpeas, peanut butter, pure maple syrup and chocolate chips. No one can tell that they’re made with chickpeas instead of flour, because they taste exactly like a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie! The best part is that the chickpea cookie dough is amazing (and vegan so you can eat it with a spoon!).
Remember back in 2012 when putting chickpeas in cookie dough and in blondies were all the rage? Well, the chickpea trend is happening all over again and I can’t say I’m mad about it. They’re actually my favorite legume.
This particular recipe just so happens to be an Ambitious Kitchen reader favorite recipe and one of my most popular. Basically, these little blondies are amazing bites of peanut butter chocolate chip cookie bliss. I swear, it’s true. After all, there are HUNDREDS of comments on this recipe from readers who just can’t get enough.
I remember the very first time I made them too! I was with my mom and we kept eating the dough straight from the bowl because we couldn’t believe how addicting it was. Kid you not, it tasted like peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough.
And well, to be honest… you *could* just skip the whole baking thing and just eat the dough (it’s vegan!). YUMMMMMM. COOKIE DOUGH DIPPIN’ PARTYYYY.
Before you get to the recipe, let’s talk about ingredients!
These healthy chickpea blondies are made with:
peanut butter (or your favorite all-natural nut butter)
pure maple syrup
These are so easy to whip up and can be in your belly in less than a half hour! Plus, they’re fudgy, packed with chocolate chips, and so wonderfully chewy. The sea salt really takes it over the top though; they reminded me of my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
I mean just LOOK AT THAT FUDGY STACK. I’m drooling, are you?
The best part about these blondies is that there are zero weird ingredients involved. They’re good for you and surprise everyone by how delicious they are. Plus these healthy chickpea blondies are vegan and gluten free, so pretty much anyone can enjoy them! I hope you love them as much as I have throughout the years. xo.
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE CHICKPEA BLONDIES
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap and picture and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. And of course be sure to follow Ambitious Kitchen on Instagram. xo!
- Serves: 16
- Serving size: 1 bar (1/16th of recipe)
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5g
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Cooking Spray
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar (you can also use honey if you're not vegan)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan (or regular) chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons
- Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8x8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except chocolate chips and process until batter is smooth. Fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, I like to use dark chocolate because it has less sugar but it's up to you. Note: Batter will be thick and super delicious, so you could actually just eat it on it's own!
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top. (The batter may stick to your spatula, so I like to spray my spatula with nonstick cooking spray first.) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are a tiny bit brown. The batter may look underdone, but you don't want them to dry out!
- Cool pan for 20 minutes on wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt then cut into squares. Makes 16 blondies. Store covered in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
You can use your favorite nut butter, just make sure it’s all natural.
Feel free to add in other things according to your dietary needs like nuts, dried fruit, or other types of chocolate.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Pin these blondies: