Happy Monday, friends! How was your weekend? Tony and I chilled hard — it was something we had been craving due to our busy schedules with virtually no down time. Now that certainly doesn’t mean our weekend was uneventful (we still had things to talk about regarding the house), but we were able to get donuts at Dinkel’s, shop at Paulina’s meat market, make Jamaican Jerk chicken kabobs, walk 20,000 steps and clean our apartment.
Not to mention that we’ve started the process of getting rid of things. Including all the various food ingredients I have sitting in my cupboard.
Speaking of random food items, it’s not uncommon for me to have multiple nut bags & jars in my cupboard. Tony loves snacking on honey-roasted peanuts & I enjoy making DIY trail mixes for healthy snack options.
Just last week I looked in my cupboard and found a package of unopened roasted cashews. Usually the only time we eat cashews is on top of lettuce wraps or in curry-based dishes. So then I thought: why not make a little cashew nut butter and whip up energy bites or bake some cookies? I’ve been ridiculously into making my own nut butters lately with my new food processor so this really was the perfect way to use up my cashews.
If you’ve never had cashew butter, you’re in for the ultimate treat. It’s creamy, rich, slightly-sweet and a wonderful replacement in recipes that call for peanut or almond butter. I love making dressings with it too, then drizzling it over roasted sweet potatoes or broccoli — seriously so so tasty!
This cashew butter only takes about 10 minutes to make. I used roasted & unsalted cashews in this recipe because of the nice flavor they lend the nut butter, but don’t worry raw cashews will also work just fine! (See my notes below in the recipe for more details!)
Cashew butter is going to be making appearance in a few more AK recipes, so make yourself a jar ASAP then we can bake together. xo!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below to let me know how you liked it. You can also upload a photo to Instagram and use the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen!
- Serves: 1 - 16 oz jar
- Serving size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 15.9g
- Carbohydrates: 10.3g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
- 16 oz unsalted roasted cashews*
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add cashews and coconut oil to your food processor and process for 5-10 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary. At this point the cashews should start to clump together. Continue to process until you reach the desired consistency. Add salt, vanilla bean seeds, and vanilla and process again for another minute. If it seems to be clumping together, add a teaspoon or two more of coconut oil.
- Transfer to tupperware or mason jar and store at room temperature or in fridge. If you store at room temp, simply give the cashew butter a stir before you use it. Stays longer in fridge.