I love when my weekends are full of good cooking.
Yesterday I enjoyed the day grocery shopping, eating a huge greek lunch with tzatziki (my favorite!), and drinking a little white wine… or A LOT of white wine. No biggie. For a quality nutritious dinner, I destroyed a giant cup of frozen yogurt with four flavors: pistachio, cheesecake, vanilla bean, and red velvet cake batter. Seriously extraordinary.
But then today a little bit of magic happened.
Cause I made this banana bread.
And I made it vegan.
And irresistibly healthy.
Because I love you, duh.
This chocolate chip oatmeal banana bread recipe was inspired by my dark chocolate raspberry oatmeal banana bread, which happens to be my favorite banana bread EVER.
How do you make your own oat flour?
The ingredients call for gluten-free oat flour and I love making it myself; all you do is throw rolled oats (oatmeal) into your blender and blend until the oats are ground into a fine flour. Simple and easy!
It’s important to note that if you want this recipe to be entirely gluten-free, then you should use gluten-free oats. I purchase mine from Whole Foods.
Besides providing delicious flavor, this banana bread is also the perfect choice for a snack. I used minimal sugar: only 1/3 cup for the entire loaf and a smudge of oil to provide some healthy fat. The oat flour is the real star here; it keeps the banana bread moist, chewy and dense.
Even if you aren’t vegan or gluten intolerant, you absolutely still have to make this recipe.
A little slice of love staring you in the face.
I think I forgot to tell you that I can predict the future; that means I know you will make it and LOVE IT. I’m full of surprises.
More healthy banana bread recipes to try:
Vegan + Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Banana Bread
Healthy vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip oatmeal banana bread made with homemade gluten-free oat flour, and sweetened with just bananas and a bit of brown sugar. The perfect healthy oatmeal banana bread for breakfasts and snacks.
- 3 cups oatmeal (make sure you use gluten-free oats)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Make oat flour: Place oatmeal into blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple of times to ensure that all oats have been blended.
- Measure out just 2 cups of the oat flour and place in a medium bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a separate large bowl, beat mashed bananas, 1/3 cup brown sugar, vanilla extract, and oil for 1-2 minutes until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add in oat flour mixture and mix until just combined
- Gently fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle 3 tablespoons oatmeal and 1 tablespoon brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool 10-15 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling. Cut into 8-10 thick slices.
Bread will stay good for up to 3 days if wrapped well.
Feel free to use fewer chocolate chips.
Adding chopped walnuts or coconut flakes to the batter would provide additional delicious healthy fats.