I have a few exciting things to share with you today!
I got a kitty! Her name is Milly and she’s the sweetest little soul. She loves to snuggle, watch movies and sit on Tony’s lap while he plays video games. She follows me around and purrs constantly. I am so in love with her!
Next! Tony and I are going to Cancun next week. YES! I’m thrilled. We’re so excited to relax and enjoy the warm sun. Seriously it’s -14 degrees out right now. You read that right. NEGATIVE FOURTEEN. I feel like my toes might fall off.
Anyway I wanted to ask if you guys have any recommendations of things to do in or near Cancun? We thought about going to Tulum or Chichen Itza for a day, but is there anything else that’s cool to see or do?
Lastly, I made you this lemon blueberry loaf for a treat this week! I know many of you are trying to start the year off healthy, but remember to make sure you still have a little moderation in your diet. Don’t worry, I’ll bake you all the healthy treats.
I should mention that I adapted this recipe from Isa Does It, one of my favorite cookbooks these days. I think I’ve mentioned her book before, but seriously — it’s creative, wonderful and simple! The recipes are all vegan, but I haven’t missed any type of meat since I started cooking some of her main meals.
This bread recipe of hers used white sugar and regular flour, but I opted for brown sugar and white whole wheat. Please don’t use regular whole wheat in this recipe – the loaf will turn out very dense. Instead, I recommend white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour; they should carry it at your local grocery store.
Check the notes below on sugar and flour substitutes! Happy New Year! xo
- Serves: 15 slices
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 123
- Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 21.6g
- Sugar: 10.3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2.3g
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 or 8x4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, lemon juice, zest, and olive oil together. Let sit for a few minutes. Next stir in applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Test loaf by inserting a toothpick into the middle; it will be done when toothpick comes out clean with only a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes, then invert loaf, place on wire rack and allow to cool for 1 hour. Cut into 15 slices.
- Bread should be wrapped in plastic or in an airtight plastic bag. Bread will keep at room temperature for 3 days.
On substituting flours: If you would like this bread to be gluten free, I recommend an all-purpose gluten free flour, such as King Arthur's or Bob's Red Mill. Do not try to substitute coconut or almond flours.
Feel free to use orange juice and zest instead of the lemon for a unique twist on this recipe. You could also try fresh cranberries instead of blueberries!
You can use coconut oil instead of olive oil in this recipe. If you do use coconut oil, I highly recommend adding in a 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes!
Recipe adapted from Isa Does It.