Do you guys have any city crushes? You know cities that you totally fall in love with from the moment you arrive. I have a few on my list including San Diego, Chicago and now… Kansas City!
I attended a conference in KC over the weekend and quickly developed a crush on the quaint little city that’s bursting with vegan bakeries, scrumptious food and beautiful parks. The fall foliage and sunny 70 degree weather made it even more loveable. I will do a recap soon of all of my bakery and restaurant visits along with more info on the conference fun.
Another thing I’m in love with would be stuffing my face with muffins. It’s a serious issue in my life. Why? Because I’m ALWAYS baking them. In fact I’d bake you all a batch of muffins if I could! Probably need to change the blog name to ‘Muffin Woman’ sometime soon.
I kid. Still slightly delusional from all of the sugar I consumed over the weekend.
Speaking of muffins, I noticed something while browsing through my recipes. Yep, there’s A LOT of banana going on up in there. Looks like we’ll need a little more variety. I plan on developing some hearty bran ones, simple blueberry and perhaps some gluten free delights for you. Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Or not. Either way I’m gonna bake you more muffins. Heh.
In the meantime, you should probably devour these pumpkin chocolate chip ones. There’s SUPER moist, fluffy, pumpkin-y, and so freaking easy to make. I posted the recipe on Instagram a few weeks back and every one enjoyed them so I’m posting them here for you to have a place to come back to.
Best of all, these are refined sugar free, easily vegan, made with whole grains and are a decent source of protein thanks to greek yogurt. I think using a pumpkin greek yogurt would be spectacular but plain is delicious, too!
So are you gonna get yo bake on pumpkin lovers?! Remember to share your creations with me on Instagram with the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen!
- Serves: 12 muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 144
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6g
- Sugar: 11.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add pumpkin, honey, egg, oil, vanilla, yogurt and milk to a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until well combined, smooth and creamy. (Alternatively you can mix the wet ingredients together in a large bowl.) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins are best served warm!
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Use an all-purpose gluten free flour instead of whole wheat. I suspect you may be able to use oat flour but am not certain.