Garlic Roasted Red Potato Wedges with Olive Oil and Rosemary
During my younger years, my Mom used to bring me along to grocery store while she went shopping. I was always excited to go on these weekly trips because I knew she would buy me the crispy wedge fries from the Deli counter. They were incredibly delicious and basically everything you need in your life at the age of four. Especially when you’ve got ketchup to dip them in.
I specifically remember the fries having this incredible crunchy golden brown coating on the outside with a hint of spice. But the inside? Pure bliss. An incredibly soft texture that I still remember to this day. We called them Joe-Joes; I’m still not really sure why.
Anyway there I’d be sitting and snacking delightfully on my little bag of Joe-Joes with a little (or A LOT) of ketchup all over my hands and face. I was probably grinning ear to ear.
Is it wrong that I kind of want to do that again? Probably. Well because adults don’t sit in shopping carts, nor do they have messy faces or hands.
Growing up is tough guys… especially when you grow out of eating joe-joes. However, I’ve realized that fries can be so much better with flavor combinations that could fill up an entire book and dipping sauces that are completely creative.
That’s exactly why I created these. To prove that potatoes made at home can be a bit extraordinary.
Basically the red potatoes (my favorite!) are tossed with a ton of minced garlic, olive oil, rosemary, and parsley then roasted in the oven until they crisp up on turn a golden brown on the outside. The herbs sticks to the potatoes and the garlic crisps up slightly. Afterwards the potatoes are sprinkled generously with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
The flavor combination is addicting. No really! I felt like I was chomping down on flavor elevated Joe-Joes. WHERE’S MY KETCHUP? Just kidding… kinda.
Really, look at these things! Fresh out of the oven, all golden brown and crispy. They’re just waiting for you to devour them. Are they possibly ketchup or siracha dippable… I don’t know, yes? I’m kind of obsessed with condiments, but you do your thing!
Won’t you fall in love with the adult Joe-Joe with me?
- 4 large red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for pan
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place 2 teaspoons of olive oil on a baking pan or roasting pan and place in oven until hot and oil begins to shimmer, about 3-5 minutes.
- In a large plastic ziploc bag, add potatoes, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, parsley, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Close bag and shake to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Dump the potatoes on the hot pan, and evenly distribute them in 1 single layer and place in oven. After 20 minutes, loosen the potatoes gently with a spatula and flip over. There may still be pale potatoes, so try and arrange those on the outer edges of the pan. Place back in oven for another 15 minutes, then flip again and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, crispy, and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with roasted chicken and a variety of dipping sauces.