A lightened up coconut oatmeal healthy banana bread with a few chocolate chips — you don’t have to feel guilty enjoying a slice or two!
You guyssssssss. I have made so many banana breads over the last few days. Sometimes I wish I could stop baking but when I get the urge to, I just can’t stop. I think I’m an addict.
Due to my baking urges, I’m often up late at night; unfortunately I don’t get the chance to photograph the recipe since it’s dark and because I’m a little bit of a perfectionist. But sometimes I just want to share a recipe with you right away so I took these photos with my iPhone… hope you don’t mind!
This coconut oatmeal banana bread is simply fantastic. I’ve made it twice over the past two days and my boyfriend absolutely adores it. Little does he know it’s healthy! Hehe I win the best girlfriend award.
To keep the bread on the lighter side, I used oats, minimal sugar, coconut milk, and greek yogurt. There’s only a little over a tablespoon of coconut oil in the entire recipe! For a little indulgence, I added mini chocolate chips and coconut because who doesn’t love a little chocolate?
The sprinkle of coconut is lovely on top since the coconut toasts when the bread bakes.
If you want to make it even healthier, try replacing some or all of the flour with whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat.
- Serves: 15
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9g
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 3.3g
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- extra coconut flakes and chocolate chips, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat together mashed bananas, dark brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and egg whites until well combined. Stir in greek yogurt and coconut milk.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, and mix until just combined. Gently fold in coconut flakes and chocolate chips. Sprinkle a tablespoon or two or chocolate chips and coconut on top of the bread, if desired. (I love it because the coconut gets toasted when you bake it.) Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until knife comes out nearly clean with a few crumbs attached. Cut into 15 slices and enjoy!