Over the past three months, I’ve been on a real fruit obsession. Fruit smoothies, shakes, muffins and jams galore! If you remember, I even put blueberries in a cookie (OMG so good!).
One fruit I’m absolutely in love with are the organic braeburn apples from Trader Joe’s. They’re one of my favorite healthy snacks especially when dipped in peanut butter or vanilla greek yogurt. I feel so lucky when I find them because they have the sweetest flavor and best crunchy texture. Lord knows I’m already excited for apple season so I can bake up my famous apple crisp and warm up some hearts.
Since we’re not into the Fall season just yet, I felt like it was a little too early to start busting out apple recipes. So today I’m bringing you a healthy, lightened up whole grain scone bursting with the sweet blueberries I found at my local farmer’s market earlier this summer. They’ve been in my freezer for the past month and I was eager to use them up!
This was actually my first time experimenting with scones and it definitely won’t be the last. The crumb was quite perfect– so fluffy and moist from the greek yogurt. The outside has a lovely crunchy texture that was irresistible; it tasted like the top of a blueberry muffin. The best part is that these healthy ones absolutely melt in your mouth just like a buttery scone would. Try dipping them in a little coffee. TO DIE FOR.
I thought about glazing them, but they’re quite perfect as is. Not too sweet, but something that you could enjoy for breakfast or packed for a guilt-free lunch or snack.
I used just a bit of butter in these, but you could try using coconut oil instead. I don’t see it making much of a difference. Jazz up these scones by adding a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or some vanilla beans.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 scone
- Calories: 161
- Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8g
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 4.7g
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, brown the butter over medium high heat. If you are unfamiliar how to do this, I've created a step by step tutorial. If you don't feel like browning it, you can just melt and cool the butter, or use softened butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combined greek yogurt, vanilla, butter, and egg white. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Mixture should be crumbly. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 times with your hands. Dough will begin to come together. Form dough into a 6-8 inch circle and place on baking sheet or parchment paper coated with cooking spray. Cut into 6 wedges and barely separate.
- To make the topping, combine sugar and cinnamon. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray then sprinkle the top of the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top of the scones are lightly golden brown.
Try adding raspberries or strawberries instead of blueberries! You can also use dried fruit.