I’ve been super lazy about packing my lunches lately. Probably because they have a Chipotle type line at the work where I basically get a chicken taco salad every single day. ALRIGHT FINE, I’ll admit that I totally get the salad because it comes with crunchy, salty tortilla chips and loads of guac.
Now chips aren’t a horrible thing, but really what’s moderation when it comes to them? I know no such thing. So basically every day I sit at my desk crunching on deep-fried chips and an big old dollop of guac. Finally I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time to limit all that chip munching to once a week.
Of course that means I have to pack my own lunch. UGH. You would think that because I’m a blogger, it’d be super easy. But life gets busy and the only time I’m really making recipes is on the weekends. My weeknights are packed with meetings, workouts, laundry, cleaning, and trying to organize things. Plus, lots of skype dates with Tony.
Thus I can really appreciate a simple, tasty salad like this.
You just need a few pantry staples like beans, fresh herbs, garlic, and lemon to dress it up. I love adding avocado chunks and feta, although those ingredients aren’t pictured here.
The salad has a middle-eastern feel but you can mix it up to suit your tastes. It was inspired by the delicious salad I sometimes can find at Trader Joe’s called ‘Balela’. Give it a try, or just make this and be pleasantly surprised. It’s been my new favorite healthy lunch. Although I will say that this would also make a great chip dip. Mmmmm.
Remember to tag your delicious creations #AmbitiousKitchen on Instagram! Can’t wait to see what you cook up. xo!
More healthy salad recipes to try:
Middle Eastern Chickpea & Black Bean Salad
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 - 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 - 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (or mini heirloom!), halved
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients: garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and sugar. Taste, add salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- In a separate large bowl, toss chickpeas, black beans, red onion, tomatoes, basil, parsley and mint together. Pour dressing over and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to soak in. Sprinkle avocado on top if desired.
Nutrition does not include avocado or feta.
This recipe was inspired by Trader Joe's Balela Salad