Hi Spring. So nice of you to finally arrive and warm my bones.
When you’re from the Midwest, you know that there’s a huge discrepancy from when the calendar says it’s officially spring to when it actually gets warm out. Some years it just goes from Winter to Summer in the span of a week. This Spring has been kind though, it’s been warm and beautiful here in Chicago for a few weeks now.
I don’t know about you, but the one thing I really love about Spring is all the fresh, seasonal produce. In an effort to help you save money and eat seasonally, I thought I’d share my favorite veggie-packed, nutritious spring green salad with you. It’s inspired by various trips to the local salad bar where I always spend wayyy too much money. Anyone else?
Amazing ways to serve this spring green salad (and why I love it!)
1. Meal prep this salad for the perfect healthy work lunch! It’s full full of fresh, seasonal ingredients that you’ll love. Just add the dressing right before serving.
2. If you’re headed to a spring party or potluck, it also makes an incredibly colorful salad platter.
3. It’s naturally gluten free & vegan-friendly (just leave off the feta!) so it’s great for sharing.
4. There’s plenty of nutrition and fiber in this salad from fresh produce, so it will keep you full.
5. The lemon basil dressing is absolutely killer! Use it on almost any salad recipe or even as a chicken marinade.
Another great aspect of this salad is that you can make it your own. Add more toppings if you’d like! Hope you love. xo
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below to let me know how to you liked it. If you’re on Instagram, be sure to snap a pic and tag #ambitiouskitchen so I can check out your creations! xo.
More spring inspired salads to try:
Everything Spring Green Salad with Basil Lemon Vinaigrette
- 6 cups organic spinach
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 medium ripe avocado, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 4 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
- To make the basil lemon vinaigrette: Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl until well combined and emulsified. You can also pulse everything together in the food processor. Taste, add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- There are two ways to enjoy this amazing salad! If you’re serving it at a party, try it on a platter:
- Arrange the greens on a large serving bowl. Arrange the other ingredients in groups on top of the greens. Serve with the basil lemon vinaigrette on the side.
- If you’re serving it for your family, you can place the ingredients evenly in bowls as pictured above and then add the dressing. Up to you! Enjoy!
The nutrition information includes the everything on the salad plus the dressing.
To make this salad vegan, skip the feta cheese.
This recipe is in partnership with Peapod. All recipes, thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting AK and the brands that help make this site possible. xo!
Photography and recipe by Monique Volz // Photography Editing by Sarah Fennel