This is one of those salad recipes that I’ve had in our weekly rotation for months and just can’t stop making it. The truth is, my husband Tony has no idea that it’s vegan, he just gobbles it up every single time.
Since we aren’t vegan, we usually we’ll pair it with my honey mustard chicken or one of my many salmon recipes, but you’re welcome to serve it however you’d like. I’ve also recently been adding sliced cherry or grape tomatoes + sliced persian cucumbers to make it go a bit further and highly recommend. Either way, I hope you love this recipe!
What’s in a caesar salad?
Traditional caesar salads are super simple and made with a base of romaine lettuce topped with croutons, parmesan cheese, black pepper and caesar dressing. Classic caesar salad dressings have lemon juice, oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, garlic & dijon mustard.
In this recipe, we’re going vegan and dairy free by using a tahini-based vegan caesar dressing, plus a fun twist on traditional croutons.
Everything you’ll need to make this vegan caesar salad
The best part about caesar salads? They use up minimal ingredients but are bursting with flavor! This makes them the perfect side dish or main to serve with pretty much anything. Here’s what you’ll need to make this vegan caesar salad:
- Dressing: we’re using my delicious vegan caesar dressing made with tahini. Get ready to fall in love.
- Lettuce: I like to use super crisp romaine lettuce to give the salad that fresh crunch.
- Chickpeas: add some roasted chickpeas for a little flavor, protein and texture! I love this brand or you can make a homemade version and use your own seasonings!
- Avocado: a little avocado helps to round out the whole salad. Love that creaminess and boost of healthy fats. Totally optional but delicious.
- Extra salt and pepper: it’s critical that your vegan caesar salad be salty enough to taste like a caesar salad, so don’t be afraid to add some extra salt and pepper!
Customize this vegan caesar salad
While this salad is delicious on its own, it also makes the perfect base for your fav add-ins. Here are some ideas for jazzing it up:
- Choose your greens. I love using crunchy romaine lettuce, but kale would also be delicious in this vegan caesar salad. Just be sure to massage the kale well with all of that dressing.
- Cheese it up. Add ¼ cup parmesan or sub a dairy free parmesan on top. We love this recipe for vegan parm!
- Add more veggies. This salad would be delicious with the addition of halved cherry/grape tomatoes and sliced persian cucumbers, too.
- Swap your protein. If you aren’t vegan, this salad is delicious served with grilled chopped buffalo or even pulled BBQ chicken.
- Pasta party. Make a vegan caesar pasta salad by adding some cooked elbow, bowtie or cavatappi noodles!
Vegan caesar salad in 3 easy steps
- Make the dressing. Mix up all the ingredients for that delicious vegan caesar salad dressing. This can be done a few days ahead of time!
- Toss the lettuce. Give that romaine lettuce a good toss with the dressing so that it’s evenly coated.
- Top & serve. Add the crispy chickpeas, avocado and any additional toppings you’d like, drizzle with more dressing and serve.
This vegan caesar salad is great for entertaining or meal prep, which means there are a couple of beautiful ways to serve it!
- On a platter. Use a pretty platter and arrange your lettuce, avocado and chickpeas for presentation. Great for serving guests.
- In a bowl. Keep it simple by serving the salad in a big salad bowl for date nights, family dinner and meal prep.
Recipes to serve with vegan caesar salad
This salad is truly the perfect, light side dish for any meal! Here are some great recipes to serve it with:
- Bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Spaghetti
- Date Night In Cilantro Pistachio Pesto Shrimp Pasta
- Brown Butter Pistachio Pesto Pasta with Chickpeas
- The Best Healthy Turkey Lasagna You’ll Ever Eat
- Vegan Pasta Primavera with Creamy Garlic Cashew Sauce
- Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Juicy Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Basil Sauce with Burrata
- Sweet Potato Cheddar BBQ Chicken Burgers
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- The Best Garlic Bread You’ll Ever Eat
How to store
Store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Recommended tools for this recipe
More salad recipes you’ll love
- California Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- Italian Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Damn Good BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Jalapeño Cashew Dressing
- Spicy Cashew Thai Chickpea Broccoli Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Get all of our amazing salad recipes here!
I hope you love this vegan caesar salad recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Vegan Caesar Salad
Fresh & delicious vegan caesar salad made with crisp romaine lettuce, crunchy roasted chickpeas, creamy avocado and the best vegan caesar dressing. This simple vegan caesar salad recipe is the perfect lunch on its own and makes a wonderful side salad for your favorite main dishes!
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped (about 10 cups chopped romaine lettuce)
- 1 1/2 cups roasted chickpeas (we love Biena ranch flavored roasted chickpeas!)*
- 1 batch vegan caesar dressing
- Optional: 1 avocado, sliced
- First make your vegan caesar dressing and set aside.
- Next, you can choose to serve this on a platter or in a bowl. Platters are pretty for entertaining or serving guests and bowls are great for date nights, family dinner and meal prep.
- Toss the chopped romaine with the dressing until well coated, leaving a little dressing for drizzling on top when done. Sprinkle chickpeas generously on top, adding more if you’d like additional crunch. Drizzle with a little more dressing, then serve! Serves 4-6 depending on if you are serving as a main or a side. Feel free to add avocado to the salad as well!
To store: store any leftover salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
We love using these ranch flavored roasted chickpeas for extra flavor and crunch!
Optional if not vegan:
- Add ¼ cup parm or sub a dairy free parm on top. We love this recipe for vegan parm!
- This salad would be delicious with the addition of halved cherry or grape tomatoes and sliced persian cucumbers, too. YUM.
- If you aren’t vegan, this salad is delicious served with grilled chopped buffalo, honey mustard or bbq chicken.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats