Healthy Tahini Banana Bread made with whole wheat flour, flaxseed, sesame seeds and naturally sweetened with honey. This healthy bread is wonderful toasted with a drizzle of honey.
Oh hi December. That was quick.
I have to remind myself to breathe. Christmas is coming. My birthday is coming. Tony’s birthday is coming. Holiday parties are coming. The HealthyGlow.Co is coming. AND NEXT WEEK IS COOKIE WEEK ON THE BLOG.
I know I keep writing this in caps, but I want you to be as excited as I am because the cookies are about to blow ya mind like Eve and Gwen Stefani did in 2001. (If you have no idea what I’m referring to, please watch this insane video.)
Anyway, the UPS man keeps showing up with packages and I still haven’t found the time to bop around Target and throw random items in my cart for stocking stuffers. I’m confident that will take place on December 23rd. If it doesn’t, I’ll just show up at Christmas with a few loaves of this banana bread that have been hiding in my freezer. Banana bread forgives all.
Before we dive into cookie week and a serious baking marathon next week, I’ll leave you with this beautiful Tahini Banana Bread. It’s like a drug. Both sweet, savory and perfectly flavored aka addicting as hell.
Banana breads are one of my favorite things to make because I always seem to have extra ripe bananas and love enjoying a slice or two during the day while I work. This time I did a little something different by adding tahini, flaxseed meal, black sesame seeds, cinnamon and honey. The flaxseed adds an extra boost of fiber & protein to the bread, so you can feel good about enjoying this for breakfast or as a snack.
And I must tell you, it’s insanely good, especially toasted with a little drizzle of honey on top.
Your morning coffee is begging for a friend, so make this banana bread ASAP. Okay bye. Gonna go stare at Anthropologie.com now. xo!
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below or upload a photo to Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen so I can see your creations!
- Serves: 12 slices
- Serving size: 1 slice (based on 12 slices)
- Calories: 174
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Sugar: 9g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 4.7g
- 3 extra ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For topping: banana slices and black sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper & spray with nonstick cooking spray. (This is important for easy removal of the bread!)
- In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients: mashed banana, honey, tahini, egg, vanilla, and almond milk until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, flaxseed meal, sesame seeds, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan and smooth top with a spatula. Place banana slices on top of the batter and sprinkle black sesame seeds on top for a beautiful effect.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until tester comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and allow pan cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove bread and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Bread is very good toasted and spread with extra tahini or any nut butter of choice.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: I would suggest using chickpea flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour. I think it would work very well and be deliciously sweeter.
Nutrition info does not include the banana slices on top.
Recipe by: Monique Volz | Photography by: Sarah Fennel