I know I’ve been baking a lot. Perhaps too much. You’re probably waiting for some miraculously delicious salad with quinoa and some other hippie things, but today I couldn’t help but bring you a new cookie recipe because helloooo… it’s cookie season and I freaking love to bake them.
I know that most of time we’re all about healthy goodies but there’s no holding back when it comes to cookies this time of year.
It’s not too often when you can find a good chewy double chocolate cookie. In fact, after all of my bakery tours in different cities, I think I’ve only stumbled upon one or two. And most of them have white chocolate chips which is fine, but if you’re going to do chocolate then I fully believe you should stick with the real stuff.
The best part about these cookies is not only how decadent they taste but how easy they are to make! Seriously you can whip these up in 20 minutes and you don’t even need an electric mixer. Another bonus? These only require 10 ingredients which you probably already have in your cupboards.
And the dough. Oh my how the dough could have nearly killed me. I couldn’t keep my fingers (or my face) out of the bowl. You might lose your mind over it. So full of chocolate. I’ve made these with both butter and coconut oil. I loved the coconut oil version (what I’m sharing today) because I used less of it and it keeps the cookies super chewy. DELICIOUS!
Another thing I wanted to tell you guys is how easy it is to jazz these cookies up. Here are some versions to try:
-Use dark chocolate cocoa powder and dark chocolate chunks or chips.
-Chop up your favorite artisan chocolate bar instead of using chocolate chips
-Fold in dried cherries, walnuts, or pistachios.
-Try out peanut butter chips for a cookie that tastes like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup
Last but not least, I wanted to share that I’ll be sharing how to make each of my recipes gluten free and vegan in the notes section below. I won’t always be able to convert a recipe but I’m going to do my best! If you bake these cookies, be sure to tag your photos #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram! To keep up to date with posts and behind the scenes info on Ambitious Kitchen, follow me on BlogLovin’, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. xo!
More delicious cookie recipes to try:
Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt
Chewy double chocolate chip cookies topped off with a sprinkle of sea salt. These are absolutely to die for!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coffee, optional
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cooled coconut oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and coffee (if using) until creamy and smooth; about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in flour mixture and incorporate until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Roll into small dough balls or use a small cookie scoop to drop on a baking sheet and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. I like to take mine out at 9 minutes so they remain soft. Sprinkle with sea salt immediately.
- Cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Makes about 16 cookies.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: I recommend using quinoa flour.
TO MAKE VEGAN: I suspect you can sub a flax egg for the egg in this recipe, but have not tested it. Please let me know if you do.
Instead of chocolate chips, you can chop up 3.5 oz of your favorite chocolate bar. These are quite wonderful with dark chocolate cocoa powder and dark chocolate chunks/chips, if you prefer to do that.