Healthy double chocolate pumpkin bread made with vitamin A packed pumpkin, shredded coconut and whole wheat flour. Tastes like a slice chocolate cake!
Why does baking give me such joy? It is the smell of chocolate melting into puddles of goodness? Is it the adventure of putting unique flavors together? Is it warming my house with the aroma of cinnamon in the fall? Or perhaps it’s the end result: a beautiful baked treat to share and make someone smile.
What I do know is that I’ll never stop baking goodies to share with you so hopefully they make you as happy as they make me.
When I first started blogging back in 2011, I made a rich, luxurious pumpkin bundt cake swirled with a chocolate-coconut layer. It was so amazing it won Nordic Ware’s bundt cake contest. What can I say? I’m in OG baker. Been kicking it in the kitchen as long as Jay-Z has been rapping.
K probably not that long. I just googled it and he’s actually almost 50.
BUT I really do enjoy baking something indulgent now and then, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Baking to share, baking because it brings you joy, baking because you can. BAKING MY HEART OUT.
So here we are with another baked treat that sang to my soul from the first time I dreamt it up: double chocolate pumpkin bread made with whole wheat pastry flour, shredded coconut, pumpkin puree and naturally sweetened with coconut.
I swear it tastes like a slice of chocolate cake with just a hint of cinnamon-pumpkin flavor. I love enjoy a slice with a cup of coffee in the afternoon. Oh and don’t forget to spread a little salted almond butter on top + sprinkle of cinnamon. It will change your world.
I hope you love this vitamin A (thanks to pumpkin!) & iron (thanks to cocoa) packed recipe. If you make it, be sure to rate it below and leave a comment! You can also follow me on Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen!
Pin this recipe for later:
- Serves: 12 slices
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 28.9g
- Sugar: 15.3g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 4.1g
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- ½ cup maple syrup (or sub coconut palm syrup)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder (or cacao)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon ginger, ⅛ teaspoon allspice or cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- For topping:
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and spread out evenly. Top with coconut and chocolate chips. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until tester comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Enjoy!
To make vegan: Use a flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)