How was your weekend? I know it’s Tuesday, but I feel like we can spend a little time reminiscing.
Mine was of course filled with food. I made Lobster Bisque for the first time; it was soooooo creamy and wonderful with a garlic ciabatta. On Sunday one of my best friends and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant where I ordered a skinny margarita and major amounts of chips and salsa. With the amount of political advertisements on the TV, sometimes margaritas are necessary.
Today though, I wanted to share with you another one of my obsessions. You know the latest and greatest.
I’ve been really into this sandwich for the past week or so. Okay actually I dream about this sandwich everyday. I make it for breakfast nearly every morning, and sometimes I have it for dinner too. I’ve been calling it the ‘power breakfast sandwich’ because of how healthy it is. The flavors are fresh, and I simply adore the creamy avocado and slices of tomato topped with fluffy egg whites and bits of sea salt and pepper. Yesterday I even added a little fresh basil on top.
It’s completely simple, isn’t it? In fact, I can’t believe I’m blogging about it. But… it’s sooooo good!
Typically I eat it on Trader Joe’s sprouted rye bread, or I stuff it into a whole wheat pita.
Sometimes I top it with salsa, hot sauce, or red pepper flakes for a bit of spice. I’ve also added roasted mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and spinach to the filling. It’s always good!
Mmmm breakfast. I can’t deny how much I love it.
Open-faced Power Breakfast Sandwich with egg whites, avocado & tomato
Delicious, open-faced healthy breakfast sandwich made with protein packed egg whites, heart healthy avocado, and fresh tomato. Truly a power breakfast sandwich with healthy fats, grains, and protein!
- 1/2 cup egg whites OR 3 egg whites
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1 small roma tomato, sliced
- 2 slices sprouted bread of choice (whole grain, gluten-free, or rye) or pita pocket
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Sea Salt to taste
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Coat small pan with nonstick cooking spray and add your egg whites. Let eggs set around the edges, and then begin to stir every few seconds, until eggs are barely set and still fluffy. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Toast slices of bread, spread mashed avocado on each slice, along with tomatoes and eggs whites. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper and drizzle with a bit of hot sauce if that's your thing. Enjoy!