Last week, I shared a set of pregnancy safe upper body movements that were developed in partnership with my personal trainer Rae Reichlin. I typically train with Rae 2x/week and have loved everything I’ve learned from her over the years, so we decided to create a series of exercise movements for all the mamas out there because let’s face it, exercising during pregnancy can be intimidating and confusing.
A little more background on my personal trainer: Rae is the owner of Ladies Who Lift here in Chicago and an overall badass chick; we used to train together a few years back, so I knew she was the perfect person to reach out to in regards to exercise during pregnancy. Not only is Rae a certified personal trainer but she’s also certified in pre- and post-natal training.
All of the exercise movements Rae and I share with you can be incorporated into your workouts or used as modifications. They are safe, effective and even great for non-pregnant women who are looking for new exercises to try out!
A reminder to always listen to your body:
The biggest takeaway from these videos and resources is to listen to your body and do what feels the best for you! What works for me may not be the best for you, so when in doubt be sure to consult your personal doctor and/or trainer before performing any of these exercises.
In this lower body series, we’ll walk you through six movements that are perfectly safe to do while pregnant as long as they feel good to you. Rae will carefully explain what each move is and why it might be a good one for you to try during pregnancy, but remember, if it doesn’t feel right, then you probably shouldn’t do it.
Equipment you’ll need for these pregnancy safe upper body movements:
The best part about these movements is that you need minimal equipment and space. You can do them almost anywhere. Here’s what you’ll need:
- a mini band
- a pair of dumbbells or kettlebells (note: you may want a couple varieties of weight)
- a mat
Watch our pregnancy safe lower body movements here:
Movements in this pregnancy safe lower body workout:
- Reverse Lunge: this movement focuses on single-leg stability for strong glutes and good posture. You can use dumbbells or modify these by not using any additional weight.
- Goblet Squat: using one dumbbell you’ll do a deep squat while holding your core stable. You can elevate your heels to help with mobility here, too!
- Deadlift: use a kettlebell or barbell to work your hamstrings, glutes and stability while keeping your back flat. A great total body movement.
- Staggered RDL: this is a similar movement to a traditional deadlift but with a staggered stance. Great for glutes and core.
- Mini Band Lateral Walk: with a band this move strengthens your outer glutes to help stabilize your pelvis. You can do these ones anywhere!
- Glute Bridge: you can do this simple movement with our without a band to really target your glutes.
Looking for my go-to workout clothes & gym favorites? See them in the Ambitious Kitchen shop here!
I hope you loved these pregnancy safe lower body movements! If you have any questions for Rae or myself please feel free to drop a comment below and we will get back to you. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Neither myself nor Rae are doctors. Please consult with your doctor if you have any concerns about working out during pregnancy.