Do you find it really difficult to eat healthy when Fall comes around? I do.
I blame it on the excessive pumpkin spice latte advertisements that make me want to cuddle up on the couch and watch The Notebook while maybe eating eat a pumpkin pie pop-tart.
Please tell me I’m not the only one?
But don’t you worry, I have a solution in the form of food.
An easy morning smoothie; it’s vegan, and delicious enough to make you forgive yourself for all of that excessive cookie consumption last week. (That’s where the detox part comes in!)
So what’s in this little green monster? The answer: good for you ingredients packed with essential vitamins and minerals to help you feel good!
- Almond Milk — Not only is almond milk dairy-free, but it provides excellent nutritional benefits. One cup of almond milk has less calories than a cup of skim milk, and is a great source of calcium, vitamin D & E. Source: Livestrong.com
- Kale — It’s actually one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet! Kale provides excellent sources of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K. Putting it in a smoothie is a great way to a serving or two of veggies in. Source: webmd.com
- Strawberries — This sweet berry packs a vitamin C punch to help keep up your immunity. I love adding it to smoothies for a burst of flavor. Source: californiastrawberries.com
- Cucumbers — Cucumbers help re-hydrate the body. They are loaded with vitamin A and K, and also provide a decent amount of potassium. I love how refreshing they taste. Source: livestong.com
- Banana – A great source of potassium, good carbs, and fiber are packed into this delicious fruit that makes smoothies creamy and slightly sweet. Source: livestrong.com
Sometimes I add in the following: almond or peanut butter, blueberries, mango, ginger, or lemon.
I usually end up drinking this smoothie in the morning right when I wake up for a burst of energy. I always feel amazing after.
You typically don’t taste the Kale (or you can use spinach!) because the sweetness from the fruit cuts it out. So really, if you never have tried Kale before, now is the perfect time.
There are really endless possibilities. If you want to add more protein, feel free to add a scoop of your favorite vegan or soy protein powder. Or even adding a 1/2 cup of almond or soy yogurt would be great.
So won’t your start your weekend right with me? Don’t worry, we have plenty of time for Fall baking.
Vegan Detox Green Monster Smoothie
Recipe type: Drink, Smoothie
Serves: 1-2 servings
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries.
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 large frozen banana, broken into pieces
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (or alternate milk)
- 1 1/2 cups kale, loosely packed, stems removed (you can also use spinach)
- Large handful of spinach
- Add the almond milk to a high-power blender and toss the banana pieces and kale in. Blend on high. Add the strawberries and cucumber. Blend again until smooth. Add in more almond milk and/or ice for desired consistency.