Healthy Whole Grain Carrot Coconut Morning Glory Muffins
The past week my diet has consisted of chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, hot chocolate, and popcorn. I was stuck in bed battling a terrible cold; and I think I ate about three giant bags of cough drops. At one point I even went to the grocery store in my pajamas because I was too lazy to change. I don’t know it was weird, I felt like if I didn’t have ginger ale my life would end or something. Clearly my fever made me a tiny delusional and a whole lot of dramatic.
Anyway I’m getting a little sidetracked here. All I really want to do is bring you healthy whole grain muffins to start your year off right.
These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, coconut flakes, carrots, raisins, and walnuts. I used applesauce instead a bunch of oil to save calories; this also keeps the muffins moist along with the almond milk.
I find these muffins necessary during those mornings when I find myself waking up 15 minutes before work. Usually I individually wrap mine in plastic wrap and freeze them so that all I have to do is pop them in the microwave in the morning.
Hold on, don’t skip to the recipe just yet. I have more to tell you!
There are only about 188 calories per muffin, plus you’re getting a bunch a ton of Vitamin A from the carrots! I’ve also added pineapple in these and found them to be fantastic so feel free to mix and match fruits and nuts to suit your taste preferences. Also if you want more of a ‘frosting’ topping, mix 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons of milk then spread it over the tops of the muffins. Topping them with toasted coconut makes them extra pretty.
Who doesn’t like pretty, healthy morning muffins to start their morning right? Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or you can use whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons olive, coconut, or canola oil
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (or you can use sweetened)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners and spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl sift together flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
- Beat brown sugar, vanilla, oil, egg, and egg whites together until creamy. Add in almond milk and beat again. With a wooden spoon fold in carrots, applesauce, raisins. Mix in flour mixture until just combined — do not over mix! Fold in the walnuts and the coconut flakes.
- Spoon batter into the liners and bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Oven temperatures vary so you may find you need more or less time depending on the flours you use.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve muffins with low-fat or whipped cream cheese, or create your own low calorie frosting by mixing a few tablespoons of powdered sugar and milk.