Almond meal banana muffins! Yes, we’ll get to the recipe, but first, hi and how was your weekend?
Here in Chicago it was a beautiful 60 degrees (in February!). Of course, I took full advantage of the weekend by taking a break from work and taxes. On Friday night we stayed in, made cookies and watched the new(er) Steve Jobs movie. I full blown LOVED it and thought Michael Fassbender was fantastic. If you haven’t seen it yet, you must!
Saturday morning arrived early as my cat Milly wakes me up daily around 5am. I did manage to fall asleep for a few more hours then decided to hit a workout. The fitness studio is about 1.5 miles away, but I always walk because I can and honestly, I love walking EVERYWHERE. Yesterday I walked nearly 25,000 steps — pretty proud of myself for that one.
On my way to my workout, I enjoyed one of these lovely banana muffins. I made them a few weeks ago and have been tweaking the recipe every week since. Honestly, I test my recipes about 5 or 6 times before they finally end up on the blog. What can I say? I’m a perfectionist, especially when it comes to muffins.
Ingredients in these paleo almond meal banana muffins
These muffins are MAGICAL. They’re made with almond meal and flaxseed meal for incredible nutrition, vitamins and minerals. They’re also naturally sweetened with bananas and no additional sugar. Unless you count the dark chocolate, which personally I don’t.
The benefits of dark chocolate are completely underrated; as you know, I’m quite the advocate of putting it in baked goods and eating it alone as a heart-healthy treat. It’s not the chocolate that’s the issue, it’s the amount of sugar in the chocolate.
If you’re having these as a breakfast muffin, you can replace the dark chocolate with blueberries or walnuts, or just leave it out and spread them with jelly or nut butter. OR just go all in and enjoy a little chocolate in the morning because #treatyoself.
I hope you have the best week. I’ll be back soon with more nutritious goodies. xo!
More healthy muffin recipes you’ll love:
Flax Almond Meal Banana Muffins with Dark Chocolate (paleo!)
Almond meal banana muffins with nutritious flaxseed meal. No sugar added; high in protein and fiber! Grain free, gluten free, dairy free and paleo-friendly.
- 1 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium extra ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup mashed banana)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (avocado or olive oil also works)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2.5 oz 72% dark chocolate bar, chopped (use vegan chocolate, if desired)*
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, flaxseed meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the following together until smooth and creamy: mashed banana, egg, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and almond milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in dark chocolate chunks, leaving a few for sprinkling on top of the muffin batter.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake 20-23 minutes until toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Makes 10 muffins.
To make vegan: I haven't tested this, but I assume you could leave out the egg and use 1/3 cup flaxseed meal and add another 1/4 cup almond milk. Please let me know if you try it!
If you want to replace the chocolate chunks with chocolate chips you can. I recommend about 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Feel free to add in walnuts or pecans.
Nutrition for 1 muffin without chocolate: 180 calories | 13.4g fat | 9.9g carbs | 3.6g fiber | 3.7g sugar | 6.3g protein
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Photography by: Sarah Fennel