A few months ago, Tony and I had the chance to visit Pensacola, Florida where we had the absolute BEST truffle fries on the planet. The heavenly hot fries were full of garlic and truffle flavor, melted in your mouth and had this beautiful crusty golden exterior that I just couldn’t get over.
I finally reached my French fry heaven. One of my weaknesses in life. Yours too?
Good, because I’ve got the absolute BEST baked french fries on the planet for you to devour…
After tasting the golden brown crispy little loves in Pensacola, I fell head over heels for truffle oil. In fact, I ended up purchasing a bottle of truffle oil just so I could recreate the fries at home! My version calls for baking instead of frying, which makes them a lot lighter in calories in fat, but definitely not flavor.
Also, when did the regular old potato become such a bad thing? I LOVE POTATOES. And I love french fries.
The secret to crispy, golden goodness? Adding a little parmesan to the fries before baking. It blends with the oil and sticks to the fries, so not only does it add a crispiness like no other but you get extra flavor too!
Lastly, if you can’t find truffle oil near you you can order it online here, or simply skip it and use olive oil in lieu of the truffle oil. Either way, these fries will be FANTASTIC.
I recommend serving these with bunless burgers, grilled chicken or fish, or just as an appetizer for noshing on! Hope you LOVE.
If you make these be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram and/or leave a comment below! xo.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 233
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 34.2g
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 medium russet potatoes, washed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ tablespoon truffle oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- For topping:
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- Extra truffle oil, for drizzling on top
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and generously spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut potatoes into ¼” inch thick matchsticks.
- Place the cut potatoes into a large bowl and pat down with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Next add olive oil, truffle oil, garlic, garlic powder and salt to the bowl, toss to combine. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and gently toss again.
- Arrange fries on the two prepared baking sheets so that none of the fries are touching. This will allow them to crisp up while they bake. Spray the top of the french fries with a little olive oil cooking spray.. Place in oven, baking sheets side by side, and bake for 20 minutes, then flip fries over with a metal spatula and rotate the pans. Increase heat in the oven to 450 degrees F. Bake for 15-20 more minutes and flip again if necessary to brown all sides of the fries.
- Once fries are nice and golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Then drizzle a little extra truffle oil on top and garnish with extra parmesan, cilantro or parsley. Season with additional salt and pepper, if you’d like! Serves with lots of ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. Serves 4 people.
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Photography by: Sarah Fennel