What’s your favorite kind of chip?
Mine are probably either Sun Chips or anything sweet potato flavored. Actually there was an amazing Australian chip brand called Grain Waves that Tony and I fell in love with when we visited last year. We had every intention of bringing home Australian wine and chips, but we kept drinking and eating them both after each purchase. Oops.
Wine + chips = the perfect late night snack.
But what if you could make homemade chips right at home? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
I decided on a Parmesan garlic sweet potato chip because doesn’t that just sound delicious? Rest assured, it is. And all you need is 6 simple ingredients to get started. Let’s chat about them quickly.
Sweet potatoes! Delicious organic sweet potatoes are best here. You can either use a mandoline or cut them with a knife. To be honest, you’ll get the best results if you use a mandoline, but either will work!
Cornstarch! We need this for crispy chips. It’s also the secret to crispy sweet potato fries. You can also use potato starch.
Olive oil! A nice light olive oil is lovely, but you can also use grapeseed, avocado or coconut oil.
GO Veggie! Dairy Free Parmesan Grated Topping! To make these dairy free, I used Go Veggie’s lovely parm and also added a little garlic powder and sea salt for delicious garlic-parm flavor. I use their parm all the time and trust me, it really does taste like the real deal. If you are looking for where to buy the GV! grated topping, check out their store locator.
And finally, here are a few suggestion on what to enjoy these sweet potato chips with:
If you make anything from AK, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram — I love seeing your creations and featuring followers! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Snapchat (username: ambitiouskitch).
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe (about 12-16 small chips)
- Calories: 109 calories
- Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 16.3g
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 1.9g
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/8th inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (can also use potato starch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons GO Veggie! Dairy Free Parmesan Grated Topping
- Place sweet potato rounds in a medium bowl and just enough cold water so that they are fully covered. Let the sweet potato rounds soak for 20 minutes. Drain water from sweet potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add sweet potato rounds, cornstarch, olive oil, garlic powder, sea salt and GO Veggie! Parm Topping to the bag. Shake vigorously and massage so that the sweet potatoes are fully coated.
- Next evenly divide the rounds between the prepared baking sheets. Do not allow the rounds to touch. Bake for 15 minutes then rotate the pans and flip the chips. Bake another 10 minutes, rotate the pans again and flip once more. Repeat one more time (bake 10 minutes, flip chips). Once chips are browned and edges look a little crispy, they are done. They will crisp up more once they cool. Sprinkle with extra sea salt if desired. Makes 4 servings. Chips are best the day they are first made, as that's when they are the most crispy.
This post is sponsored by GO Veggie!. Thanks for continuing to support AK and the brands that help make it possible for me to bring you recipes.