Normally I start each blog post with some sort of little story about life and what I’ve been up to lately. Today I just want to bring you a recipe for paleo banana bread because frankly, it’s just awesome.
I’ve been hoarding this recipe in my drafts for months, waiting for the perfect moment to hit publish. Mondays always seem to be the best because you’re all looking for new things to make, and who doesn’t love a good treat for the rest of the week?
Before you jump straight to the recipe, I’ll hope you take a moment to fill out my annual reader survey. Last year was a great success and I learned so much about what kind of recipes + posts that you were looking for. This year I’ve got a few different questions and I’m hoping you’ll spend 5 minutes to give me a little info and your thoughts on all things AK. I appreciate it more that you know! You can find the survey here.
After you’ve finished filling out the survey, be sure to come back because this paleo banana bread recipe will be patiently waiting for you. I spent a week testing this recipe with various amounts of almond and coconut flour (one of my fav flour combos) before I created the version before you today. It’s my new favorite treat because it just so happens to be moist, sweet, flavorful and chocolatey. The best part is that there’s NO SUGAR added (besides the chocolate chunks). The bananas add the perfect amount of sweetness, and when paired with the melty pools of dark chocolate it becomes a banana bread dream come true.
My favorite way to serve this is warm, when the chocolate is still melted. Tony actually prefers them cold out of the fridge, so it’s up to you how to enjoy them. I do highly recommend sprinkling them with sea salt. Sounds odd, but it’s addicting.
I hope you enjoy these chocolate-packed paleo banana bread bars. If you make them, be sure to leave a comment below! I’d also love if you uploaded a pic to Instagram and tagged #ambitiouskitchen so I can see your creation! xo.
FILL OUT THE AMBITIOUS KITCHEN ANNUAL READER SURVEY HERE.
Here’s a little video on how to make this recipe — hope you love it!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1 bar (based on 12)
- Calories: 159
- Fat: 9.1g
- Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Sugar: 6.4g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 3g
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup packed coconut flour
- 1/3 cup high-quality cocoa powder (see recipe notes below)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar (at least 80% cacao), coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add bananas, eggs and vanilla to a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gently fold in wet mixture and stir until well combined. Next stir in chocolate chunks, reserving a few tablespoons. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chunks on top. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Once done baking, transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 12 bars.
Feel free to substitute 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips in place of the dark chocolate bar. I often use the Enjoy Life brand.
I often use Trader Joe's Cocoa powder, but Ghriradelli's Unsweetened Cocoa powder is nice too. Another favorite is Dagoba's organic cacao powder.
Recipe by: Monique Volz / Photography by: Sarah Fennel