An incredibly moist Carrot Cake Banana Bread made healthy with whole wheat flour and applesauce instead of lots of butter or oil. Don’t forget the low-fat cream cheese frosting — it’s to die for!
I never really enjoyed carrot cake until about a year ago.
It started when I was living in Los Angeles; there was an incredible cupcake shop in Manhattan Beach that I used to stop in after a beach walk in the evenings. They sold a variety of mini cupcakes and for some reason I decided to try their carrot cake version. After one bite, I was in heaven. Now I’m on some sort of quest to find the best carrot cake out there. Any suggestions?
When it comes to cake, the only thing that can compete with carrot is my Dad’s yellow cake with chocolate buttercream – and that one is pretty hard to master. I’m still working on the recipe after 7 years. Maybe one day.
There’s one thing I don’t like about carrot cake: all of those calories. And I’m already going to be eating everything else in my face during Easter, including at least three of those Reese’s Eggs and probably way too much wine. Yes, I try to make every holiday as awesome as Thanksgiving.
Anyway as I was preparing to head to the grocery store staring at overly ripe bananas on the counter, an interesting thought came to me. What if I combined the two? You know, my love for carrot cake + banana bread. Could this be a thing?
In my mind, absolutely.
Sometimes all you need in life is a little cake. Am I right?
If I could bake layered cakes all the time, I would. It tends to be pretty time consuming so I like to save it for special occasions, such as birthdays or holidays. Even though this cake took me a few hours to bake up and frost, it was completely worth it.
I baked this with Easter in mind. Sometimes it’s fun to go outside the tradition of carrot cake and bake something to surprise everyone. Just imagine pulling this out and setting it on the table. Minds will be blown. Like did you just make a triple layered cake? Wait it tastes like a fluffy banana bread. Oh and there’s chocolate in there? Wait and a frosting that tastes like the inside of a peanut butter cup?
Oh.em.gee. I know.
Random Friday posts are good sometimes, right? They add a little jazz in between the food porn shots.
And so, here we go. I’m telling you 10 random things about me. There’s no rhyme or reason to it!
- I blew out the speakers on my new car after a month. I’m going to go deaf. No biggie.
- I eat peanut butter out of the jar on a daily basis. Don’t even try to judge that right there. That’s real life.
- My dog is nicknamed Oscar de La Renta. He’s proud. I’m going to buy him a pink collar soon. He’ll figure it out.
- I have plans to attend culinary school. Someday, somehow! Let me pay off all of my student loans first. Or win the lottery?
- If I wasn’t so into food and cooking, I’d probably be a fitness instructor, doctor, or nutritionist.
- I have to confess that I drank close to a bottle of wine after my juice cleanse. Do you think that reversed the cleanse? Meh.
- I am addicted to BuzzFeed. You should be too.
- That new Almond Joy frosting was spooned out of the jar last week…. straight into my mouth. I suggest you find it and do the same.
- Zac Efron and I will get married someday. Obviously.
- These zucchini banana muffins? MY FAVORITE MUFFINS EVER! NO SERIOUSLY. EVER.