Delicious savory chicken sausage, egg and cheese muffins that are perfect for breakfast meal prep. Top these low carb, keto egg muffins with avocado, salsa, or hot sauce!
You wanted a savory muffin so I’m giving you a FABULOUS low carb savory egg muffin that basically tastes like a mix between a pigs in a blanket with a side of eggs all wrapped into one. I know that sounds a little crazy, but can you just trust me when I tell you they’re INCREDIBLE?!
Perfect because I have a feeling you’re going to be making this recipe again and again.
This savory breakfast muffin recipe is loaded with almost 10g of protein per muffin, so if you have two muffins you’ll be packing in 20g of protein for breakfast. #MATH
To make them your own:
Feel free to skip the cheese if you’re dairy free or if you’re paleo.
Skip the sausage, and add in veggies of choice. My favorites are red bell pepper, broccoli, green bell pepper, onion, spinach or tomato! If you want to add veggies, I recommend dicing them up and sauteing in a little olive oil first. Allow them to cool a bit before mixing them in with your eggs (otherwise they’ll cook your eggs!)
I think these qualify as low carb and keto too, so if you’re into that, feel free to enjoy them for breakfast or a snack. I love topping mine with hot sauce or spicy salsa and chunks of avocado. They’re SUPER filling and unbelievably delicious.
I absolutely love these for a breakfast meal prep or a snack meal prep. They’re take 20 minutes from start to finish and are SO EASY.
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE MUFFINS:
If you make these muffins, be sure to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! You can also upload a photo to Instagram and use the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen.
- Serves: 12 muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 138
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Fiber: 2.0g
- Protein: 9.8g
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- ½ pound chicken sausage of choice, or your favorite breakfast chicken sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (use whatever cheese you like)
- To serve: Serve with avocado chunks and salsa on top
- Cook the chicken sausage according to directions on package. If your chicken sausage is already cooked, no need to reheat, simply chop it into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously grease 12 muffin cups of muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, salt and pepper. Slowly add in coconut flour, while still whisking. Fold in cooked chicken sausage and ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Evenly pour mixture into the greased muffin tins. Sprinkle with ½ cup remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until muffin puff up and eggs are set.
TO MAKE DAIRY FREE: Leave out the cheese.
Skip the sausage, and add in veggies of choice. My favorites are red bell pepper, broccoli, green bell pepper, onion, spinach or tomato! If you want to add veggies, I recommend dicing them up and sauteing in a little olive oil first. Allow them to cool a bit before mixing them in with your eggs (otherwise they'll cook your eggs!)
Pin these muffins: