Oh hi. Someone tell me how it’s already almost April. I’m eagerly waiting for the tulips to make their appearance in my backyard and for the robins to start eating all the extra muffin crumbs I put on my deck.
To celebrate all things spring, I’d like you to say hello to my little friends: dreamy orange chocolate chip muffins!
I’ll admit it, orange is my citrus of choice and I’m not mad about it. When I was little I used to LOVE the mini orange muffins from the grocery store. I didn’t understand why no one else wanted to eat them but me, but I much preferred their flavor over blueberry or even banana. I know that sounds crazy coming from someone who basically delivers you a new banana bread weekly, but it’s true.
I also happened to love orange cinnamon rolls over regular cinnamon rolls. Anyone else love orange as much as I do?
While I know I said I was going to make some sort of lemon cake for easter, but now I have this idea of an orange carrot cake with a fresh orange-infused cream cheese frosting. SOMEONE HELP ME DECIDE.
While I’m contemplating Easter dessert, I’ll leave you with these beautiful orange chocolate chip muffins. Orange + chocolate is a match made in heaven. In fact, remember when I made my paleo orange-kissed loaf with dark chocolate aka the best loaf ever? That flavor combo just so happened to inspire this recipe.
These muffins are made with a mix of almond flour and whole wheat pastry flour and flavored with fresh orange juice + orange zest. The result is a SUPER fluffy, perfectly sweet muffin that I probably should start selling. If you want, you can sub the whole wheat pastry flour with gluten free all purpose flour or chickpea flour, just know that you may have to add a little more coconut oil (probably 2-3 tablespoons).
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE ORANGE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
More healthy muffins recipes you’ll love:
Dreamy Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or sub chickpea flour or all purpose gluten free flour)
- ½ cup fine almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients:
- Zest from 1 large orange (about 1 tablespoon orange zest)
- ½ cup organic sugar (or sub coconut sugar or ⅓ cup honey)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 large orange)
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar or organic sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with 9 muffin liners and spray the inside of the liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl add the orange zest and sugar and use your fingers to rub the orange zest into the sugar for at least 30 seconds to infuse the sugar with orange flavor.
- Next add in eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract, orange juice and almond milk. Whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients until just combined, then stir in melted and cooled coconut oil. Fold in ⅓ cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between the 9 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with extra chocolate chips. Sprinkle with organic sugar or coarse sugar. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Use all purpose gluten free flour or chickpea flour instead of whole wheat pastry flour. You may need to add a few extra tablespoons of liquid or more coconut oil to keep the muffins moist.
TO MAKE VEGAN: Use two flax eggs instead of regular eggs. Also be sure to use vegan chocolate chips!