Every night when I go to bed I think about food combinations. I’m not joking. Pairing food combinations together eventually lull me into a beautiful sleep. In fact ever since we got our bed from Helix, I’ve been sleeping like a true angel!
But I have noticed that my dreams have become increasingly more vivid — and weird too. Check this out: The other night I had a dream that I was Miley Cyrus (yet still myself somehow) and that I turned into a blue robot on an island. I had two other friends that I didn’t know there. Suddenly a group of other blue robots came and told me I could choose to die (very gruesomely) OR that I could take two items and swim across the ocean to another island. I chose the second option and took a sand bucket and something else I can’t remember. I grabbed my friend and we made it across.
Once on the other side of the ocean and on a new island, we noticed there was a beautiful yet murky-looking pond. We decided to go swimming, but suddenly felt something touch our toes. I told everyone I thought it was a stingray. We couldn’t be certain though, so decided to drain the pond somehow. Once drained, five random creatures (a stingray, alligator, and a guy from Mortal Kombat) popped out of the water and wanted to fight. It was super dramatic.
Then I woke up and ate toast with chai-spiced hazelnut almond butter and pears. Now you know that I’m truly a weird human.
Anyway enough about my dreams and more about this hazelnut almond butter! I made it because I had a bag of hazelnuts sitting in my counter before we moved and wanted to make something with them. So, why not make an easy buttery hazelnut almond butter?
While I love hazelnuts, I find that enjoying them alone is often overpowering, especially in a nut butter (unless it’s chocolate obviously). So I added almonds too. And chai spices! I think you’ll like it because it somehow reminds me of Christmas morning or sipping on a chai tea latte on a chilly fall morning. How many days until Christmas again?
Hope you enjoy this hazelnut almond butter — one of my favorite ways to use it is in these breakfast strawberry banana quesadillas. xo!
Check out my other favorite nut butters:
Chai-Spiced Almond Hazelnut Butter
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and add hazelnuts and almonds to a large baking sheet, spreading out to evenly distribute. Roast for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Allow nuts to cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a kitchen towel. Wrap nuts in towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around so that you remove the skins of the hazelnuts (don't worry about almonds). This helps to achieve a creamier nut butter. Keeping the skins on is okay though, just know your nut butter won't be as creamy.
- Once most of the skins are off the hazelnuts, you can transfer the nuts to the food processor or high speed blender (such as a Vitamix). Process on high until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add coconut sugar & coconut oil to assist in blending. At this point the nuts should start to clump together. Continue to process until you reach the desired consistency. I like mine extra creamy!
- Once nut butter is blended, add in the spices and salt and blend for 30 seconds more. Pour into a large glass jar or container. To keep fresh, store in the fridge for up to 1 month. Not that it would last that long.