The best coconut oil chocolate chip cookies with puddles of dark chocolate in every single bite. Slightly crispy on the outside with a chewy middle.
Like all cookie recipes on my site, this one comes with a story.
A delicious dank story.
For your reference, Tony and I started describing everything as dank over the past year. It’s kind of this annoyingly cute thing we do when something is really ridiculously delicious and/or beautiful. You know, like blueberry muffins. Or when the sun is out after a few days of rain. Or guacamole.
And even when we eat some really dank chocolate chip cookies.
These particular cookies were beyond exceptional. A slightly coconut flavor, with crispy, crackly edges, puddles of rich dark chocolate, the right amount of sweetness and the perfect chew. We sat down with a few before we watched new Dr. Strange movie. I don’t know what was weirder, the movie, or Tony and I saying ‘dank’ over and over again.
A few ingredients to chat about:
Whole wheat pastry flour: Don’t use regular.
Brown sugar: The one and only. Oh, I did try testing them with coconut sugar but found them too soft and not quite sweet enough to my liking.
Egg: Make sure it’s at room temp! Quick tip: Run it under warm water for 1 minute.
Coconut oil: Measure it when it’s melted but make sure it isn’t hot.
Chocolate chunks: I purchase my favorite chocolate bar and chop it up. This is where it gets fun and you can be creative — why not try using a flavored chocolate bar?! Maybe one with coconut or almonds?
Annnd I’m just gonna say this now and put it out there: It’s not a cookie to mess with. Don’t try working in other flours and wacky ingredients. This isn’t how this cookie rolls. Mmmkay?
Sometimes a cookie is what it is. These coconut oil chocolate chip (or chunk) cookies are waiting for you.
Hope you love them! xoxo
Pin them here:
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 oz) 72% dark chocolate bar, coarsely chopped (or can use 2/3 cup your fav chocolate chips)
- Fancy sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix coconut oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla together until well combined. It is very important that your coconut is NOT hot and that your egg is at room temperature. To bring your egg to room temp, simply place under warm running water for 1 minute.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt together. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough onto prepared baking sheet, placing each cooking dough ball 2 inches apart. DO NOT flatten the dough balls. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with sea salt. Makes about 14 cookies.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: I haven't tried to make this recipe gluten free, but think it would work quite well with chickpea flour.