Last night I asked Tony what his favorite cake was and he responded with I don’t know.
Ummmm excuse me? How do you not know what your favorite cake is?
For everything else, I choose carrot cake.
Carrot cake is like the Jennifer Aniston of cakes. Never gets old. Classic and elegant at the same time.
My mom’s been in town over the past week and we’ve been baking up a storm, including this carrot zucchini cake that we could not stop munching on. It’s has bright orange flavor for some character and a luscious light cream cheese frosting.
There are so many reasons to love this cake:
It’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup and fresh orange juice!
Whole wheat pastry flour adds a nice nutty flavor to the cake, while still keeping it moist.
You get TWO veggies (carrot + zucchini) in one cake.
Greek yogurt adds both moisture and protein.
The coconut cream cheese frosting is to die for.
AND IT’S SO FREAKING MOIST.
This could totally be a brunch cake too, or get turned into cupcakes for a party — it’s up to you! I’ve included instructions in the note section of the recipe. Hope you love it with a big cup of coffee this weekend.
P.S. Thanks so much for being here for zucchini week — I hope you enjoyed it. xo!
- Serves: 16 slices
- Serving size: 1/16th of cake
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini, squeezed well of all moisture
- 2 cups of shredded carrots (from about 4-5 medium carrots)
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup of of freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest of 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- For the Frosting:
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp organic powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk (canned or carton is fine)
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 cup Bundt pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a separate large bowl mix together all wet ingredients: zucchini, carrots, shredded apple, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil, orange juice, zest and yogurt. Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in shredded coconut flakes. Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake for 40-55 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then invert cake onto rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make cream cheese frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut milk together. Spread over the top of the cake. Top with the unsweetened coconut flakes. Serves 16.
You can also bake this cake in a 9x13 inch pan, but remember to reduce the baking time. I would check around 30 minutes.
Make these into cupcakes by reducing the baking time to 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean!