I’ve realized I have to have some sort of Thai inspired meal at least once a week. And so what better than to make a recipe you can easily meal prep for the entire week, then put in containers for lunch. It’s healthy, packed with protein and SO MUCH FLAVOR!
What you’ll need to make one pan yellow curry chicken & rice
Let’s chat about this fabulous coconut yellow curry chicken and rice. It’s packed with LOTS of crunchy veggies and flavor from garlic, coconut milk, turmeric and ginger. I’m in loveeee. Here’s everything you’ll need to make it:
- Chicken: I like to use boneless skinless chicken thighs for extra delicious flavor, but feel free to use chicken breast.
- Oil: you’ll need a bit of coconut oil to brown the chicken.
- Veggies: we’re adding in fresh green beans, red bell pepper, carrot & green onion.
- Rice: be sure to use white basmati rice so that it cooks up nice and fluffy. Do not use brown rice as it will take too long to cook.
- Herbs & spices: you’ll need garlic, ginger, cilantro, curry powder, turmeric, salt & pepper.
- Coconut milk: the rice and chicken will simmer in light coconut milk (from the can) to cook completely.
Customize this recipe
What I love about this thai curry chicken is that it’s incredibly forgiving and made with some of my favorites pantry staples. Here are some easy ingredient swaps and ways to make this Thai curry chicken and rice your own:
- Use your fav veggies. Snap peas, broccoli, sweet peas, asparagus, orange or yellow bell pepper would all be delicious.
- Swap your grain. I think quinoa would also be delicious in this recipe (you can use 3/4 cup), and readers have made it with cauliflower rice as well! Again, I would not recommend using brown rice as it will take too long to cook.
- Spice it up. Feel free to add about 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper if you want this dish a little spicy.
- Add a little sweetness. Feel free to garnish with raisins or chopped dates for little bites of sweetness!
How to make thai curry chicken and rice in one pan
- Brown your chicken. You’ll first briefly brown your chicken in your skillet with garlic, salt & pepper. No need to cook it all the way through.
- Saute your veggies. You’ll then saute your veggies a bit so that they start to get soft and absorb the savory chicken flavors.
- Add the liquid. Stir in that coconut milk, spice and lime juice, bring everything to a simmer, and then fold in the rice.
- Bring back the chicken. Nestle your chicken back on top of the skillet with your simmering rice and veggies, reduce the skillet to low, cover and cook.
- Unveil your creation. After 20 minutes the rice, chicken and veggies will be perfectly cooked and bursting with flavor. Garnish and enjoy!
Storing & meal prep tips
The best part about this recipe? It’s perfect for meal prep! Simply let the pan cool completely, divide the whole thing into 4 separate meal prep containers and place them in the refrigerator to enjoy all week long.
More one pan meals to try
I hope you love this one pan yellow curry chicken and rice If you make it be sure to leave a comment below and rate it so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
One Pan Thai Coconut Yellow Curry Chicken & Rice
Incredibly flavorful Thai coconut yellow curry chicken and rice made in one pan with plenty of veggies, protein and delicious flavors from coconut milk, ginger, garlic and turmeric. This easy one pan yellow curry chicken and rice is great for meal prep!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more if necessary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 8 oz green beans, ends trimmed and cut into roughly 2 inch long pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon medium yellow curry powder (or 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- To garnish:
- Fresh cilantro
- Diced green onion
- Place a large deep 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. (If you do not have a skillet a large pot will also work very well!) Add in coconut oil and garlic. Once hot, add in chicken and season generously with freshly ground salt and pepper. Cook until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip and and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet (it should be greased enough already for sauteing), add garlic, ginger, chopped green onion, red bell pepper, green beans and carrots. Saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to absorb pan flavors.
- Next add in coconut milk, yellow curry powder, turmeric, lime juice and salt; stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, then fold in the rice, making sure it is evenly distributed.
- Add browned chicken on top. Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet immediately and cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and rice should be cooked. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro and green onion.
- To meal prep: This meal serves four. Place rice in a meal prep containers and top with 1 chicken thigh. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.
Do not use brown rice. It takes a lot longer to cook and I would NOT recommend… SERIOUSLY DO NOT TRY IT.
If you are looking for an alternative, I would recommend subbing 3/4 cup quinoa. The cooking time will stay the same.